94 540i questions

I am the new owner of a 1994 540i. This is my first BMW.

From all I read about Bimmers, they are known for responsiveness and

silky-smooth transmissions. Mine seems neither terribly responsive nor silky-smooth.

1) Shudder when accelerating. I know this can be related to driveshaft. My mechanic confirms this, although it's not the "typical" remedies that are recommended elsewhere in this newsgroup. Those fixes have already been done. He recommends changing out the whole driveshaft. Thoughts? 2) Tranny seems to not downshift as it should for first half-mile or so of driving. RPMs very high, like it's not shifting into higher than 3rd. Then a noticeable "settling" of the transmission as it does what it's supposed to do. 3) Generally, gear shifting does not seem smooth as silk at all.

I know this is hard to comment on in this kind of forum, but just wondering what your thoughts are. I am aware of the Nikasil issue with the cylinders, but not sure that any of these things have anything to do with that.

Basically, it comes down to this: I bought the car to have a FUN car to drive, right now it's not, and I don't know if it's my car in particular or if my expectations are wrong/too high.

Reply to
sfred

search here for your info.... all there...

SharkmanBMW