97 328i Check Engine Light

I have been having intermittent problems with my check engine light and I am coming up to NYState inspection with the light currently on. I have had it diagnosed in the past as an evap leak and have had the smoke test done to the car only to find no leaks. The dealership tells me it can be many things but it can get costly troubleshooting the evap leak error. The car runs great and have never had any engine problems. The light goes off after a few months and all is well till the next time it comes on (which is now). I do not want to spend a lot of money trouble shooting this and I need the light off asap so I can get the car inspected. Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
jmacdad

An Autozone store in your area will give you the current diagnostic codes for free. For what the dealer charges to pull codes, you can buy the tool.

There is nothing you can do today without knowing what the code is.

Most Evap Leak Errors are rooted in not securely tightening the gas cap.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I know the code from past checks since this has been and off and on again problem for over 3 years. The code indicates large evap leak. There is no leak since the dealership did all kinds of test on it last year and found nothing. I just drove the car a few cycles and the light went off and it passed inspection. The light has been on for some time and I changed the gas cap only to still have the damn thing still on. I just want to pass inspection without having to pay and arm and leg to trouble shoot something to pass an inspection.

Reply to
jmacdad

Your car has OBD II, you can pull codes with an off-the-shelf code reader that Autozone will allow you to use for free, or they will use it free for you. Either way, you must know the code that caused the light to come on before you can do anything else, even if "anything else" includes ignoring the light in the hope it goes off by itself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ok I went to advance auto and they checked the computer and told me that the code is P0455 and P1250 which is evap emission control system leak large and emission control fuel air metering. The guy which did the test told me that it could be a vacuum hose which would throw the entire system off. He asked me if I had the hose replaced or tightened and I told him I have not. He indicated that I might want to start my trouble shooting by replacing the hose.

Is that a good start for the error codes or should I be looking into something else?

Reply to
jmacdad

-----

Sounds like a hose cracked or the crimp clamps (SUCK!) have come loose. I'd start with

and look at the Evap System diagrams for your model. The codes will be a guide. If you find any clamps that move, replace them with screw clamps. Also check the gas cap seal, just in case.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i (and the wife's '98 528i)

Reply to
Bill