Black

I have a 2001 E39 528i sport, but this is probably a common problem on any car. Does anyone know how to restore the black plastic trim to its original (non-oxdized) condition. I found a product that works for a couple weeks. Anything better out there?

Cheers

Reply to
Joel

It's not oxidized it's been bleached by ultra-violet from the sun and most if not all the "oil" and chemicals have evaporated.

Fiat cars are the worst for this here in Euroland where once black bumpers and trim now they all sport grey......

There are many products that claim to fix the problem but will only last a few months.

Have a look around your neighbourhood (or even the Yellow Pages) to find a dealer that services car dealers with valeting products - one US company springs to mind is "AUTO-SMART" but Meguires is another consumer based supplier.

No quick fix - tried black plastic bumper paint?

Reply to
hsg

Are you referring to the shadowline (matt black) trim around the windows or the bump strips on the doors and bumpers. OBTW, the 528 was replaced by the

525 and 530 in model year 2001.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Peanut butter. No joke.

Reply to
Mike Scheer

Or just peanut *oil*. Seriously. It's one of the best gentle solvents that there are out there.

Reply to
Dean Dark