blown speaker in '99 E36 M3

I am hearing the unmistakable buzz of a blown speaker in my front passenger door. Are they easy to replace? Where do I buy them? How much are they?

Reply to
kenabbott

I can't comment specifically on the M3 -- but basicall you remove the door panel

-- not a big deal; just do it slowly.

I bought my replacement speakers from BMW -- When one of hte rear speakers failed, I replaced both so they'd be a matched set -- I"m glad I did -- the new ones had a distinct different sound to them.

The BMW dealer charged me about $50 a pop (regularly 90 or so)

Josh Assing

On 21 Sep 2006 06:56:16 -0700, "kenabbott" waffled on about something:

I'd go down the local car hifi shop and buy yourself some quality speakers. They'll have a list of what speakers will fit where, just say BMW E36 front door.

Although having said that, my E36 front door only has tweeters, the big front speakers are in the kick panels in front and under the dash.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

You have to be careful - some BMWs have twin voice coil drivers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you mean the smaller of the two door speakers, yes they're easy. I fixed both of mine about a year ago, and posted it here;. Still no buzzing one year on.

pulled the passenger side front mid range speaker today, the buzzing one. There are 11 clips holding the door panel on. What the Bentley service manual doesn't tell you is, next to the airbag, is a small (< 1 inch) panel with "AIRBAG" written on it. This is actually a screw cover; behind it is a fourth Torx screw.

FYI the part no. of the speaker is 65.13 - 8 366 466, spec 20W 3ohm. diameter is 2.5" (inches). couldn't find a direct replacement from any local car audio places.

The speaker comes out of its plastic housing pretty easy, with a small screwdriver and some care. The foam cone material was cracked all round

the outer edge, so I spread a little clear silicone all round the crack, let it set 30 minutes, and bingo, no more buzzing. Sounds good, I hope it lasts.

kenabbott wrote:

Reply to
mcquarrie

It appears that the blown speaker is the larger of the pair on the door. Do I measure the size including the enclosure? (i.e. is the smaller one the 2 1/2" or the larger one?)

mcquarrie wrote:

Reply to
kenabbott
2.5" is the diameter of the smallest speaker, removed from its enclosure - the speaker cone itself.

I haven't had to remove the other door speaker, but I would think it can't be too difficult to get out once you have the interior door panel off.

kenabbott wrote:

Reply to
mcquarrie