BMW battery

I have a 1998 BMW 740. I only have around 40K miles on this car. After a long overseas trip, I found the battery dead. I jumped started and drove the car for awhile. The battery eye is green. I may have to replace the battery. This battery is in long rectangle shape. Can you tell me where to find replacement battery other than the BMW dealer? Thank you.

Reply to
Arthur

CFL

You can go to Sears, Cosco, BJ's, anywhere batteries are sold and they can sell you the proper battery for your car.

Reply to
ESmith

But they do not have a cross reference to the BMW battery.

Reply to
Arthur

If it's gone green, with a bit of luck you haven't done any damage.

In the UK, I found problems because of the unusual shape. So got one from a Bosch dealer. Varta are also OEM suppliers to BMW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've found Interstate to carry weird shaped batteries for BMW's every time I've ever tried.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

There should be a code on the battery itself that any good battery retailer can use. Try going to an independant shop that does imports rather than Sears or the like.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

I am in Northern California. Any refer?

Reply to
Arthur

If the eye is green that is good. Why do you think you need to replace it? Did you fully trickle charge it? The fact that it went flat may have more to do with a slow discharge due to something remaining on when you shutdown the car than with the battery.

BMW batteries are made by Douglas. You should be able to buy one directly at a reduced price if you search for a Douglas dealer near you.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Batteries are classified by shape and size as a particular "Battery Group". What you need for a 98 7 series is a battery Group 95R

It is a pretty big sucker at 15-9/16"L x 6-7/8"W x 7-1/2"D and about 800 (or more) CCA.

Douglas makes it under the model #95R-675

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Who are you asking? Try quoting some of the message you are responding to.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

You should do an open-circuit voltage test of your battery after a good long drive - at least 30 minutes at highway speeds. If it reads 12.4V or better then it's fine. If it reads below 12.4V but above 12.2V then it's likely marginal. If it's lower then I would bring the car in to a garage and have the charging system and battery tested.

If you just need a replacement battery, your car probably needs a Douglas battery. Douglas is the official supplier for the original as well as the replacement BMW battery. The battery they will sell for your car is actually rated higher in performance than the one they make for BMW. Try their webpage for import car batteries:

I have a 540i and it has the same engine as your car and probably uses the same battery - yes, it's a rectangular battery. I believe mine was the 49-675 (BCI Group 49). I bought mine from a Douglas Battery reseller for about USD 100. If you call the toll-free Douglas number (1-800-368-4527) the customer service agent will look up the closest dealers in your area.

You can experiment with other makes of batteries but why would you want to experiment if you can buy a guaranteed correct or better battery at the same price? It's not trivial to be stranded by a dead battery.

Reply to
Michael Low

The OEM suplier for BMW is Varta

- at least in Europa - dont think there is any diff. on US models.

Douglas is not known in Europa and is for shure not OEM suplier to BMW

Reply to
ENN

Actually, I'm pretty sure they are a supplier to BMW in the US. It would make sense they would source from different companies on different continents. The OP was in the US and we do not get Varta batteries in the US.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

As I already posted, it is NOT the same size as the 540i. It is a BCI Group 95R, not a group 48 as your 540.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The Bosch battery I got in the UK to replace my BMW branded original was identical outwardly - apart from the BMW labels. However, ISTR reading that Bosch and Varta were now the same company.

US supplied BMWs get some locally sourced parts - including some auto boxes. Poor things. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry Fred, I hadn't seen your earlier message.

BTW, I am pretty sure the 540 battery is BCI Group 49 and not 48. In any case, one should always double-check.

Reply to
Michael Low

Douglas may not be well-known in Europe but Varta is also not well-known in N. America.

BMW makes Z4 and X5 cars in South Carolina and N. American sales make up a healthy part of BMW's total volume. It also makes sense to have a local supplier to reduce costs of transportation. Douglas is the official battery supplier for BMW over here.

Reply to
Michael Low

Pretty much anywhere that sells automotive batteries. The size of the battery defines most of the electrical specifications. Go to a battery shop and have them test the current battery and install a new one if needed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

At Costco, the book listed BCI group 95R, cold cranking 950Amp. But there is none of this type of battery in any Costco store in the South SF Bay Costco stores. I called Interstate, they do not have this either. None in any battery or repair shops. Cannot find any Douglas in Northern California.

Only available at the BMW dealer, asking $260 a piece.

Reply to
Arthur