bmw cornering

I bought a 99 323i just recently and I cant wait to get behind the wheel every day. I live in newpaltz where there are tons of twisting and turning roads. I just recenlty got two new tires (rear) and an alignment. Prior to getting this done I felt the car cornered very tightly. It felt like the car pulled me into the turn and shortened the turning radius, like it 'diped' to the turning side so that you didn't feel as if the car was flying outward. Since I recieved the service the cornering feels like the top of the car is rolling out of the turn. I no longer get the tight 'dip' into the turn, could this be the tires or alignment or something else?

Reply to
rhumbaro

Were the two new tires the same model as the existing fronts, and have you checked the tire pressures (should be about 29 front, 33 rear when cold)?

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I don't understand your description of the problem. Are you familiar with the handling characteristics of RWD cars? Ignoring the comments about dipping and rolling, it sounds like you were experiencing over steer with the old rear tyres, and have more balance and grip with the new tyres. All cars roll to greater or lesser degre under cornering. A better explanation would help. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Are the new tires the same or similar make and model as the remaining two? Never had much luck mixing different tire types front and rear on my BMW.

Alignment shop should have reviewed their work with you and informed you if there were specifications that could not achieve. Did you get a report? The ones I have seen show discrepancies from factory specs.

Reply to
hdd

It could be the tyres - I find new tyres to be a bit more squirmy than old ones. In general there is no optimum alignment spec - for twisty turns a little more toe out is good but for high speed stability a little more toe-in is good. The shop will just attempt to set it to whatever is in their book.

Reply to
adder1969

I used to live between in Ulster Park. Now I'm on the other side of the river.

For New Paltz roads, I prefer a K1200RS over a 323i anyday.

Reply to
Seth