1993 BMW 325is Starting problem

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I recently replaced my starter after it started to grind. Apparently I was given the wrong one the last time I replaced it a few weeks ago. After I installed the new starter, I went to start the vehicle and although the engine was turning, the car failed to start. I tried a few more times and the car started right up without a problem. I turned it off and on a few times and noticed that it seemed like the battery was weak. All the lights were working but it felt sluggish to start. There was no grinding coming from the starter, in fact it sounded great. I let the car sit for a few minutes in idle. Suddenly the alternator began to screetch in a loud manner, something which the car had never done before. I turned off the car and then tried to turn it on again...after that I got nothing. I get power all throughout the car mirrors, windows, lights, but the engine won't turn. When I turn the key I don't even get a click, there is no sound whatsoever. I hear the fuel pump but the engine won't turn. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine. I didn't test the relays though? The battery was bought new only 3 months ago. The strange thing is that when I turn the key to start the car the lights remain the same, it's as though turning the key to start the car has no effect. I checked the cables and everything is tight. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help anyone can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance.

blach_luminari

Have you load tested the battery? If it passes you should be checking your alternator's voltage and current.

-- Jackson

Reply to
Jackson

Was the engine turning, or was the starter spinning without actually engaging the engine? Did you notice the tach?

Well, sure the battery was weak, after you spent all that time running the starter. What you describe is the typical symptom of a starter with a bad Bendix which is not engaging (or a flywheel with a bad spot in it).

That wasn't the alternator screeching. That was the starter. This time the starter didn't DISENGAGE, and it was continuing to stay engaged as the engine was idling. It's not designed to turn so fast, and after a short while, it blew up.

Was this a cheap chain store rebuild, or was this an original Bosch part from the dealer? Pull the starter off, check the flywheel to make sure you didn't wreck it in the process, then push-start the car and take it to wherever you bought the starter from and demand your money back. If you wrecked the flywheel in the process, don't expect they'll pay for it, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey