What size wheels and tyres

Thanks to all who replied to my last question, regarding identifying a wheel.

The follow on is this. I have a Gilbern Invader Mk 3. It is a rebuild project. It comes on a set of Alloy wheels. 2 are marked

13" x 5,50" and 2 are Marked 13" x 6,00".

The 5.5 are fitted with 185/70 R13 and are on the rea axle. The 6.0 are fitted with 205/60 R 13 and are on the front axle.

The handbook states that the wheels and tyres should be the same as the rear axle all round.

Is there anything wrong with the set up I have at the moment. I'd like to keep the car looking as it does now which is why I was trying to identify the wheels it has currently.

Should I swap axle with what I have? Can I fit the same tyres on all

4 wheels despite the different rim sizes?

Would I be better looking for 2 more 5,5 or two more 6.0 wheels to match? If need be I'll go for a set of 4 in a similar style, which probably means Dolly sprint or similar?

Many Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
mike whiskey

That's a strange combination. More that likely the rolling radius is the same.

Its like going from a 165-14 to a 175.75 -14 the rolling radius is similar because the profile is 75%. (The price difference for me is near double to buy the 165-14.)

Most likely that's correct

I would have the wider wheels on the rear.

Its important that the geometry is correct for the steering/wheel alignment. This includes the offset of the rim so the pivot point matches the specific geometry Camber/caster/turning etc. for correct alignment.

Cars like the Westfield use different size wheels front and rear (wider).

Triumph wheels - they need to be supported off the spigot in the centre of the hub - the wheel nuts don't actually support or align the rim, they are flat and don't have that taper into the rim. Not a good idea if you don't use Triumph Dogamite hubs. (Triumph service bulletin notes)

Reply to
Rob

Almost, but not quite. With the tyres currently fitted, the radius of the rears are 6.9mm bigger than the fronts.

Also consider what happens if you get a puncture. You would have to have a spare of each size, because it is illegal to drive with mismatched sizes on the same axle (unless the car was supplied from new with a "spacesaver" spare, which can be used at low speeds to get to the nearest place where the puncture can be repaired).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I was trying to work out why the difference and maybe the radius being the same as to why they were fitted in the first instance.

the 1/2" difference in rim size isn't going to make any difference which tyres you use as long as they are recommended for the 5.5 - 6.0 rims and all the same.

Reply to
Rob

mike whiskey ( snipped-for-privacy@djinter.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

On a RWD car, especially one with cart springs, I'd have the bigger tyres on the back, I think. How's it driving at the moment? Fairly tail happy, I'd assume?

205 will fit on 5.5" rims.
Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the comments so far.

How's she driving? no idea when it was last on the road!

Will avoid Dolly hubs, and keep searching for something appropriate. MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Just guessing.... Were the 6.0 bought first and found to foul a wheel arch on full lock or on full bounce after driving over a pothole, and the 5.5s then put on the offending axle to get round the problem? Have you tried what they look like swapped round?

Alternatively, did the owner discover that there wasn't enough weight at the back to get proper grip on the wider tyres and put some narrower ones (but higher profile to keep the same rolling radius) on to stop it being tail happy?

My PI is shod with 185s. The Gilbern is a lighter car, so 205s look a bit excessive to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren