BMW E34 touring

What could be the most suitable motor for E34 5-series touring from year

1993-1995?

Thanks Jukka

Reply to
Jukka

"Jukka" haute in die Tasten:

2.5 litre with 193 HP. Careful with the 4 Litre V8: Auto gearbox will probably not live longer than 160.000 km unless ATF has been changed frequently.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

525i or 525tds. The 520i is a bit slow off the mark and no cheaper to run.
Reply to
John Burns

If you're in a country outside of the US, and if you got the $$$$$, you may want to also consider looking for a E34 M5 Touring. I believe they came with the 3.8 liter S38 engine. Now that would be a "suitable motor" for the E34 5 Series Touring....

Reply to
bfd

Seconded. My 525i SE E34 has over 170k miles. Engine has never been touched, apart from routine servicing. Did have a new w/pump about 3 years ago though, if that counts. Pulls well. Doesn't use or lose any oil, and is still very quiet. Excellent engine IMO. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

And only available in left hand drive :-(........

Reply to
John Burns

ditto here mike...we have a '95 e34 525it & will be turning over 140k any day now - never an issue other than the routine including w/pump, therm & rad. can't say enough about that power plant. the less than

25k e39 m5 has had more signifcant maint than the e34.
Reply to
phlood

Yup, those engines seem bulletproof. From what I gather, even 170k is a comparitively low mileage, compared to what you can expect. 2-300k is not unusual. I forgot to mention it, but mine is a '94. With the wider grill. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

They can suffer from sticking valves through poor servicing or too gentle driving. Symptoms are a rough idle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hehe. There's not much fear of mine suffering from that then. I don't thrash it, but it frequently gets driven hard. In traffic on a good road, I use sports mode quite a lot. Makes it just that bit more responsive when it comes to overtaking, as it only has to change down one gear instead of 2. It does get regular servicing though. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If you can find one, an ALPINA B10 4.6 would be nice - 340bhp/480Nm,

0-100km/h 6.1s, 275km/h/170mph... A
Reply to
Alistair J Murray