1997 528i rear rattling on bumpy pavement

I have taken everything loose out of the trunk and it still rattles in the rear when you ride over bumpy pavement or speed bumps.

I've read where this model might have premature problems with something in the rear suspension.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Reply to
Notgiven

One of the sway bar links failed on mine. Easy to change and cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where is the jack and other tools on this model. I once traced (after weeks) an annoying jingle on mild acceleration to an umbrella on the parcel shelf.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I took the tools and jack out - it still made noise. Maybe it's the CD's in the rear changer - I'll try there next.

Reply to
Notgiven

Did it sound like a rattle or a thump?

Reply to
Notgiven

Rattle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it was NOT the CDs in the CD changer

Reply to
Notgiven

Yep, and it's simple enough to lie on the ground without even jacking up the car, look underneath and jiggle the links around to see if there's any play at all in them. Any play at all means, of course, that you should replace them.

Reply to
Dean Dark

I applied the brakes during one of the rattling sounds and the rattling stopped. I lightly pumped the brakes during another rattling session and the sound stoped every time the brakes were applied. The brake pads must be loose. Taking it back to dealer to fix since it is still under warenty.

Reply to
Notgiven

Are both the anti rattle clips in place on the rear calipers?

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

If your '97 car is under warranty for things like that, then you should by all means get them to fix it. Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Dean Dark