BMW X5 Clicking noise

Hi - My X5 3.0 started having this clicking noise and when I checked the oil it was really low. I added enough oil but the sound is still there. Has anyone experienced something like this?

btw: the reason I checked the oil, although I did not see the low oil indicator lamp, my wife said she saw it yesterday illumunated - and I thought after adding oil it should go away, but it is still there...

Thanks

Reply to
juma gul

Check it again, if you are loosing oil you are probably in big trouble.

All sorts of things could be clicking, but it is most likely the hydraulic tappets. This should go away after a few minutes [light] use.

OTOH if anything has become worn through lack of oil...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Is it a low oil indicator lamp or a low oil *pressure* lamp? There is a big difference. Vast difference. A chasm. Of huge proportions.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Ok - so I took it to the dealer yesterday and it looks like they think it is the alternator pulley that is making the noise - i brought it home before they do any repair to get a 2nd opinion and when i compared the pullys of this car with my other two cars it looks like there is no enough tension and the pully is loose here. You can almost see the movement to the side as it revolves. Anyone else has seen this?

Reply to
juma gul

So it is the charge warning light that is lit?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to