CAR WON'T START

THIS HAS HAPPENED RECENTLY. EVERYTHING WORKS, i.e., LIGHTS, RADIO, ETC., YET THE ENGINE DOES NOT TURNOVER AT ALL. AFTER A FEW TRIES, IT STARTS RIGHT UP. 65,000 MILES NO OTHER PROBLEMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS

Reply to
iamamaximuss

On 16 Jan 2007 21:41:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com waffled on about something:

1) Don't shout (caps lock) 2) Can we have some details of the car? Manual/Auto etc 3) Does the car have an immobiliser?

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 16 Jan 2007 21:41:23 -0800:

Can you turns off your caps lock?

Did you really mean it doesn't turn over? Or does it sound like it's trying, but just doesn't fire? Did you rev the engine when you parked, or only move it a short distance from parked?

When this has happened to me keeping the accelerator pedal depressed and turning will eventually start it up (at least in my '93 E36 320), the engine was flooded with fuel and just needs to be cleared out. Revving the engine just prior to turning it off will leave it with too much unburnt fuel in the cylinders - always let the engine idle for 10 secs or so after stopping before turning it off.

I've also once had trouble starting when parked facing uphill on a hill - I think in that case the fuel pump just needed a bit longer to get fuel going to the engine.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

  1. Weak battery. It takes far more energy to start a car than running all that other stuff.
  2. Bad starter motor, solenoid, cables, etc. Jim
Reply to
Jim

Reply to
iamamaximuss