Check engine light

I have a 1990 325i convertible. I just fixed several items that needed work when I bought the car. I managed to reset the service lights with a method someone gave me. However, the check engine light has remained on. Can anyone tell me how to reset the check engine light without having to go to the dealer? Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
nichdl1

Read this article from PellicanParts.com.

It'll tell you what you need to know.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

I think this works with an E30 as well as the E34 it was written for:

Fred W

I tried the procedure in these articles. It did not work. I have tried to push the accelerator pedal 5 times, fast, medium, and slow and everywhere in between. The check engine light just keeps flashing no matter how I do the 5 presses on the pedal.

Is there anything else I can try? Does this mean something?

Dave

Reply to
nichdl1

I have a 328i and was tired of paying to have the lights reset, so I bought the tool to rest the engien light as well as the oil light. It was about $200 and the best money I ever spent.

Reply to
Rampage via CarKB.com

How about downloading the code, determining why the check engine light is lit, and fixing the problem?

While the engine will run acceptably with that light blazing forth, the light indicates an emissions problem. The usual case is that the computer cannot achieve the optimum fuel-air mixture and thus you experience higher emissions and somewhat lower mileage. Jim

Reply to
Jim