Clutch "clicking" sound

Recently, after a 200Km trip my 316i E36 clutch started to make a weird "clicking" noise. This "click click click" looks related to the engine rpm. one click per rpm.

I think its from the cluch because I only hear it when the cluch it not fully engaged. When I realease the clutch and the car engages the sound disapears and becomes louder when the cluch pedal e fully depressed. Also sometimes when the clutch is half-way engaged and starting applying torque to the wheels it produces some vibration, similar to the rotaion of rusty bearings or something.

Anyone had an similar experience? What could it be?

btw the car has 130.000Km on the clock.

Reply to
HangaS

Probably the throw-out bearing.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Hi Bob,

Thanks!! After reading your post I went googling for what a throw-out bearing was, and it might be exactly that. Also I looked on the ETK for the possible cost of a replacement part, and it costs about $60, not including labor, which might be most part of the total cost.

Reply to
HangaS

If it only makes noise when there is relative motion between the engine and transmission it is probably the pilot bearing which is a small ball bearing in the back of the engine crankshaft. If it makes noise whenever you put pressure on the clutch pedal even if the clutch is still fully engaged (no relative motion between engine and transmission) then it is probably the throw out bearing. The question is really moot because you have to remove the transmission to replace either part and you should replace them both while you're at it as well as the clutch disc based on the miles on your car. Some people will tell you that you should also replace the clutch pressure plate and have your flywheel resurfaced but personally I wouldn't go to that extent unless you see excessive wear when you have it disassembled.

Reply to
Jack

Please shop the internet for the part because you can easily find one for about $35 US. The OEM brand is Sachs.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

I hope we're all not losing sight of the fact that the actual cost of the throwout/thrust bearing pales into insignificance beside the cost of the labor to fit it. Whether it's $30 or $60 is kinda moot.

Reply to
Dean Dark

It looks like it is the release or throw out bearing as it only makes the noise when the pedal is depressed.

I guess it might be the result of some bad driving habbits, like keeping the cluth down on a traffic light for long times instead of changing to neutral.

It started doing this a couple of days ago, I know I have to replace it soon. Does this issue requires imediate intervention or could it wait for a few weeks until the next Inspection which is only a green led away? What is the risk of driving with a release bearing in this condition for a few more weeks?

Reply to
HangaS

I guess I wasn't clear on determining which bearing is failing. It's important because you shouldn't drive the car with a failing pilot bearing because it allows the transmission input shaft to wobble which can ruin bearings inside the transmission.

With the engine running and the transmission in neutral put some pressure on the clutch pedal but not enough to depress the pedal and disengage the clutch. This puts load on the throw out bearing but the clutch is still engaged so there's no relative motion between the engine and the transmission so the pilot bearing is not rotating. If you hear the noise now, the problem is the throw out bearing. Now put more pressure on the clutch pedal and push it to the floor. The clutch will disengage and the transmission input shaft will stop rotating which creates relative motion between the engine and transmission. If you only hear the noise now, the problem is the pilot bearing and you shouldn't drive the car until you get it fixed.

Reply to
Jack

I've done that test last night in the garage when I got home.

The car was in neutral and cluth released... no clicking sound Then I started to press the cluch slowly.. as soon as I 've put some pressure on the pedal the clicking sound came up. It gets louder until half-way the pedal course and then starts to disapear again, but not completly even with the pedal to the floor.

So I think you were rigth when you pointed to the throwout bearing.. I also googled for "throw out bearing" and I found some reports of the same simptoms. I'm now pretty sure it is the throwout bearing.

Reply to
HangaS