'99 OB - Clutch Pedal Doesn't Return

I have a 99 OB Wagon, Manual TX, 100K miles, Green. Over the last few months I have developed a problem with the clutch and clutch pedal. The clutch linkage is hydraullic (not cable).

  1. After maybe an hour of normal operation, the clutch pedal develops a reluctance to return to the un-depressed (engaged) position. At first it 'pops' back to the un-depressed position, but eventually it only returns to a position
1 or 2 inches from the full-travel (desengaged) position. The clutch does appear to operate ovr this short stroke. I can pop the pedal back up with my foot, but the initial 6" of stroke no longer feels the same as when cold.

  1. If I continue to operate the car, it reaches a point where I can not fully disengage the clutch even when the pedal is at full travel. First can be rough. Reverse can be painful. Eventually, I must resort to killing the engine, finding reverse, and starting up again.

  2. The vehicle never behaves this way cold, and the conditoin has never gone away once it has started.

The '98 manual suggests checking the clutch plate, but I doubt the clutch mechanism itself would be so temperature dependent (1 hour warm up). I suspect the hydraullic linkage, particularly because my abilty to fully disengage the clutch deteriorates over time.

Anyone have any advice or a similar experience? Any problems with the hydraullic linkage?

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Hays

[...]

hydraullic linkage?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It's most likely the slave cylinder... bleeding will help temporariliy, but is fixed best by replacing slave, master, and line.

114130151- gasket(you need 2 of them) 30620AA042- cylinder 37251AC001- hose

[...]

snowone