1996 Grand Am SE... need code

I just bought a used Grand Am and the radio dont work. It has "LOC" on the face of the radio where the time/station would normally appear. I've been told I ned a code to unlock the radio system. Anyone know these codes or something to help me get this working? Thanks in advance.

Brian

Reply to
Nitro

Paul

Thanks Paul. Any idea how much they charge for this? I was hoping someone knew the code and I could fix it myself... Brian

Reply to
Nitro

If you go to the alt.autos.gm group and ask I'm sure that there's someone there that could give you the code.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I saved this from a posting several months ago. Have no idea if it works. Post back if it does:

1) Press the 2 & 3 numbers on your radio at the same time for about 10 seconds; a 3 digit code will come up 2) Press the am/fm button for about 10 seconds; another code will appear

3) Write those numbers down in that order

4) Dial 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202107 followed by the * sign

5) Enter the 6 digit code from your radio followed by an *

6) The phone number will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code, enter this code into your radio just as your owners manual tells you to

NOTE, if the code you get back starts with a 0, drop the zero from the code. So if you get 0123, your code would be 123.

Reply to
DonW

This should work...

STEP 1: Hold 2 and 3 for 6 or more seconds.....it will show numbers, those are the first ones, then it will show 3 more those are the second ones, go to step 2.

STEP 2: CALL THIS NUMBER: 800-537-5140 the instructions are to enter your code for Chevrolet,Pontiac,GMC, Oldsmobile,Cadillac, and Saturn I only have the dealer code for Pontiac ( sorry everyone else ) enter this code "219055" followed by the asterix symbol on your phone:

STEP 3: enter your code that you retrieved from your radio followed by an asterix

Listen for your secret code..that's it!

oh yeah, you may want to write it down somewhere in case you lose it. If all else fails, take it to the dealer and let them do it. They should oblige you with out charging you and it only takes less than 3 minutes.

Reply to
dh

Thanks for the code breaker course guys! I now have the code I need to put into the radio but when I punch it in, it does nothing. I don't have an owners manual for this car....yet. I'm sure there's a trick to punching the code in and unlocking the system. Any of you know this trick? Thanks again.

BTW...after you hold down the 2 and 3 buttons and your first 3 digit code appears, you do have to press the am/fm buton for the last 3 digits.

Biker Brian

Nitro

NFO for a 98 Montana.

"Enter your secret code as follows: pause no more than 15 sec. between steps

  1. LOC appears when the ignition is on.
  2. Press MIN and 000 will appear on the display note on the Montana radio MIN is the button to set minutes on the clock
  3. Press MIN again until the last two digits agree with your code
  4. Press HR (hour) to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
5 Press AM-FM after you have confirmed the code matches the secret code. The display will show SEC, indicating the radio is no operable and secure. Note, the manual says if you enter the wrong code 8 times you'll have to wait an hour with the ignition on before trying again. Further you have 3 more tries, e.i. a total of 24 tries and not sure what happens then. Recalling the Montana only had a 3 digit code rather than 4. In any case this feature can be turned off but it would be best to have the actual info for you 96. It's a little bit of a pain to reset after replacing the battery.
Reply to
DonW