Diagnostics

Does anyone know where can I buy diagnostic cable for bmw e36? It can come included with software if it is not to expensive.

Thanks,

Reply to
Ivica Barac

A Supporter

I dont need that tool, I need a cable that can connect to notebooks

Reply to
Ivica Barac

Assuming you got such a cable, you'd also need the software to interpret the data. And making such a cable would be rather easier than writing such software. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Software is the easy bit to accquire, Dave. I have a source....... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Right. So what port does it use on the PC? Perhaps I could be into a nice little earner...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll need more than just a cable and some software for the PC. The OBD interface is *not* RS-232 so it cannot be cabled directly to a com port on a PC.

I an bought an OBD2 package from a company called Harrison R&D (no affiliation, etc.)

I have never seen one for OBD1. I belive that this is because it was not standardized and each manufacturer had its own implementation of it.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

The software I have connects via a serial port on comm1, the connecting lead is actually 2 leads, one has the connector from the obd port to a serial connector, the other has a black box half way along its length and connects the first lead to the conputer's serial port. Inside the black box is where the magic takes place, to allow the car and computer to communicate. Mine is sealed, so no intentions to open it up to see what the circuitry is, but it definitely works, tested on my 2001 330dSE and a friends 1998 318ti. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Where did you get the cable, price?

Reply to
Ivica Barac

U.S.http://www.gendan.co.uk/viewcategory.php?category=114 U.K

Reply to
Bill

Thanks, but those are cables for newer car only, I need it to connect it on a bmw e36, 92y

Reply to
Ivica Barac