R/T Challenger vs 2SS Camaro vs GT Mustang

I just test drove a new (6-speed) R/T Challenger, (6-speed) 2SS Camaro and a (5-speed) GT Mustang. Note: They were relatively quick test drives -- a little stop and go and a quick run down a few miles of highway. I didn't throw them hard into any corners, jam on the brakes or beat them within an inch of their lives. I did, however, put my foot into each of them a few times to see how they responded. Here are my impressions:

R/T Challenger -- truthfully, a MUCH better car than I expected. While I've driven other Hemi cars (Magnum & Charger -- and loved 'em!) and loved the [Challenger's] exterior appearance, it's size/weight and rather bland-looking interior kept me from pursuing a test drive. I must say I shouldn't have waited because it's a great car! And today, I "felt" this car's appeal. Twist the key and it comes to L-I-F-E! The exhaust note throbs throughout and the pistol-grip shifter just begs you sit down, shut up, and hold on. Release the clutch slowly and with a soft touch on the go-pedal the brute still pulls away with authority. Hammer it and it sets you back, all the while playing beautiful engine music... in fact, it's the best soundtrack I've EVER heard from a modern production car. I swear, capture its wail and you'll have a hit record. To summarize this brute: If you love a sweet highway cruiser, and like a large sedan feeling in your pony car, and don't want the pains of maintaining an old 60's classic muscle car the new Challenger is for you. But is it for me? I'm not sure yet. After my test drive today, it sure didn't fall off my short list.

2SS Camaro: Finally, the Camaro has the right dimensions -- no more super-long, weird-angled windshield and no more of that sitting in a bathtub feeling. But what's it like to drive? A little subdued, actually. I was half expecting a rumbling, snorting, bucking beast. What I got was a fairly quiet, smooth-riding, comfortable pony car. Then I floored it. Look out! You better be prepared when you spur this pony car because that 6.2-liter Chevy motor kicks ass! Overall, this is the best Camaro ever, by a long shot. However, there are some details that made the car feel a little cheap -- the gas filler door, some interior bits, the clutch engagement isn't very smooth, and the car didn't track particularly well. Though the tracking could have something to do with the 3,400 miles this model had accumulated before I drove it (it was a trade-in). In summary, it felt a little like a Pontiac G8 I recently had the pleasure to drive.

GT Mustang: Like a comfortable pair of jeans, the Mustang felt right the minute I sat down in the seat. Everything seemed to be in just the perfect location and at just the right height. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Ford got my body measurements and used them to design the car. I turned the key and was rewarded with a nice soundtrack. Not as good as the Dodge Challenger, but still top notch. Running through the gears, and listening to those pipes it would be REALLY easy to feel like Steve McQueen in this Mustang. The car was begging to be pushed hard, so I mashed the pedal. And this was when I felt a letdown. After driving the other two cars, the Mustang feels underpowered. I'm not saying it lacks pop or pull, but it just doesn't get your adrenaline flowing like the Dodge and Chevy do. But this isn't anything, oh, about a 95 HP increase couldn't fix. :-)

Verdict: Sorry, the jury is still out.

This choice is going to be much more difficult than I first thought. Detroit is hitting their market so well with these cars, it's now almost down to what your personality is when deciding. Do you want a reborn 60's muscle car? An aggressively styled sportster that walks soft but carries a big stick? Or the updated 60's classic?

Me? I'm going to get even more confused after I test drive some more cars, and re-test drive some cars, and I get a crack at a 5-liter equipped 2011 GT Mustang. Stay tuned.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp