Wheel Balancing Question

Hi

Had a /slight/ wobble coming through the steering wheel on my Honda Prelude at around 60, it'd been there since I had some new Toyos fitted. Went to have the front two wheels rebalanced - now it seems a lot worse especially at around 70mph.

Additionally, now the whole car seems to shake from around 80mph (feel it through the seats), which would lead one to believe that the rears are well out of balance - but the rears weren't touched? Could having *just* the fronts rebalanced upset the rear?

Pressures are fine @ 32psi all around.

At around 95mph+ (not that I condone such speeds!) everything feels solid - no vibrations at all.

Any ideas? Is it worth having all four rebalanced at yet another place?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
phiz

Is it a wobble or a vibration? I knew a Prelude owner who once had a similar problem - vibration at a certain speed (about 60 IIRC) and it was the inboard CV joints.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Sounds expensive! Steering wheel wobble starts from around 60... then it turns into a vibration at around 70-80 felt throughout the whole car, not the steering wheel. Take it up to 90 and all is well - most confusing - why doesn't it get worse with speed?

Reply to
phiz

Don't know why it is only at a certain speed, or if that is indeed your problem. Was just suggesting it as a possibility because it happened to the person I knew. As for expense, I think he finished up taking the car off the road for a few days while the original CV joints were reconditioned.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu