E46 dash cluster light question

Hello Everyone, I have a 2003 325i. It has 55k miles. She drives like the lady she was built to be. I am worried because every once in a while when I hit a large-ish bump or random unavoidable pothole a light flashes in the dashboard and the car seems to lose a little power for a second. I think its the hazard lights indicator. Here is a link to a picture by my friends over at Bavarian Auto -

The light that keeps flashing is the one that the Tach needle is pointing directly at. Any ideas?

-Carl Night

Reply to
Carl Night

"Carl Night" wrote

That's the Traction Control/Dynamic Stability Control light. It means that the TCS/DSC discovered the wheels going different speeds (due to the bump/pothole) due to loss of traction. The power loss is a direct result of the system "letting up" on the throttle to regain traction on the spinning wheel.

If you were in a more aggressive mode and the car started skidding, you might note the second step the system takes, which is using the ABS system to pump the brakes (on an opposite corner) to recover from the skid.

All normal.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

So as a test, turning off DSC will "solve" this? I'm just worried something is loose somewhere.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Night

Turning off DSC won't solve it, but it will confirm that the loss of power you feel is due to activation of the traction control.

What you're describing can happen if you go over some larger bumps and are on the throttle because the rear wheels lose grip and speed up relative to the front wheels. The DSC electronics perceive this as a loss of traction and retard the throttle in an attempt to restore traction. That's the loss of power you feel. It's normal.

What's not normal is if you have started to see this more often as of late over the same stretch of road and the road has not deteriorated in that time. It's the first sign that certain suspension componentslike struts and/or shocks are starting to wear out and should be replaced, as the wheels are hopping over bumps rather than conforming to them.

Some routine maintenance may be in your future.

-Doug

--

-------------------- Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Doug Vetter

There is nothing to "solve". The light comes whenever DSC is in use for the reason that a previous poster described. The light is really just a notification anyway.

Jim

Reply to
Jim