engine shakes upon startup in the morning

hey yall. I have a '99 328i. every morning when I start up, the engine runs rough. about a minute into the warm up time, every 10 seconds, the engine takes a dive like it's going to die out, but picks back up again into the 1k range. this continues until the engine warms up, and doesnt do it anymore. Even when I go to work, leave in sitting all day, and on cold evenings when i'm going home, it does this. the other thing i notice on the thermostat, when it gets above the line (1/3 mark) it will stop, anything below that, the engine runs those 10 second intervals until the engine warms up. looking forward to any suggestions. thanks.

Reply to
wawa_bmw

user

perfect, that's all i needed. thanks

Reply to
wawa_bmw

This appears to be a serious problem that BMW would like to see quietly go away.

That just ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
user

just read the article, you sound about right. I'd like to get this issue resolved, any idea where I can get these "seals" that are needed? From the article, The seals need to be replaced. Any ideas?

Reply to
wawa_bmw

I wish I did. We have two M54 powered cars which supposedly wouldn't exhibit the same symptoms that your M52 does, but that doesn't mean they won't have some sort of future trouble. I'd suggest printing out this article and showing it to a trusted mechanic.

Reply to
user

good deal, thanks for your help with this.

Reply to
wawa_bmw via CarKB.com

Best of luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

Reply to
user

alright, got the part, paid 400 for it. now, when changing out the vanos, what things should I look out for, or is it just an easy swap out.

Reply to
wawa_bmw via CarKB.com