how far can you drive bmw without stopping?

it's a fair question, i think. could someone point me in the right direction?

i'm gonna be moving home for good. it's a 12.5 hour drive (roughly 850 miles). so, i'd like to know if there's a recommended way of handling the drive.

i have a 1999 323i.

if this has been covered somewhere else already, could you post the link here please? or you could directly email me: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Thanks.

Reply to
aagastya

wrote

If you're planning on doing it in 1 day, get a second driver to help you out. I've done 900 miles in one day (took about 15 hours), and it can be tiring, regardless how much you love driving. If you don't have a second driver, split it in two days - your drive will be much more enjoyable, not to mention safer.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

This depends more on your bladder than the car. It doesn't need to stop.

You might though.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Do you mean, "how far can I get on one tank of gas?" or "how long can *I* drive without rest?"

Okay, it's the latter. Only you can answer that question. Why ask us? A 12=BD hour drive in one day shouldn't be a big deal for a grown man. I've had more grueling drives in my time.

----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1.

---------

"Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001=20

--=20 Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

Oh boy. If i'm asking a question about how "I" want to handle the drive, then why the #@$#@$#@ would I post it in "alt.autos.bmw"?

Since i got 3 replies- and none of you got my question, I'll take the blame for not articulating the question properly.

So, here it is: Will there be any problems with my '99 323i car if I drive it continuously for almost 13 hours/roughly 850 miles? There, that's better. Thanks.

Still, I take credit for the post-question- "how far can you drive bmw without stopping?" it wasn't "how far can you drive without stopping?" now, was it???

:) :) :)

-A

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
aagastya

Reply to
aagastya

Well, when I had to go cross country with my '97 318i, I could get 600 miles per tank if I sucked it nearly dry. That's on open Internstate, cruisecontrol at 70 mph the whole time.

If your 323i has an instantaneous fuel economy display, get yourself in a nice level open road, put it in cruise at the speed you're going to do your trip, and see what you're getting. Then just multiply that by your tank capacity and you should be close.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

No. Absolutely not a problem due to continuous use. That is, no problems that wouldn't have happened in the next 850 miles of normal use. In fact, continuous use is easier on the car than the normal stopping and starting we put our cars through on a regular basis.

Hope that answers your *real* question.

Reply to
Fred W

wrote

In that case, no.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Richard did get it right.

I've driven straight through from Pennsylvania to Alabama (about 900 miles /

13 hours) - n> Oh boy. If i'm asking a question about how "I" want to handle the
Reply to
joe_tide

I really have no real idea why you asked the question in the first place.

You can't be serious. Are you thinking that the car will need to take rest breaks or something? It should only need gas a couple of times, assuming it's been checked out for a long trip, e.g. proper levels of vital fluids with no leaks; no neglected simmering problems otherwise with the car that could leave you sitting on the side of the road....

----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1.

---------

"Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001

Reply to
clifffreeling

How *do* you stay awake?

Reply to
Jeremy

wrote

4 Things: 1) Please turn off the HTML. Newsgroup posting should be plain text. 2) Be sure your windshield washer reservoir (and other fluids FTM) is full. 3) Coke (or any other sugared and caffeinated beverage) is my choice for drinks when you get sleepy: just the act of reaching and sipping helps keep you alert.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

As well you should

well, no, of course not.

No, it was "How far can YOU drive..." You introduced a human elemt into a mechanical question and muddied the water. Your original question could be taken at least 3 ways that I can think of. My first reaction was "Damn, can this boy not do simple math?" But any of the 3 possibilities seemed pretty silly to me, so I didn't answer ;)

As they say, YMMV

Reply to
Rex B

uh huh. very funny you guys.

  1. Floyd - don't know how to turn off the html-tag feature. i didn't know i was/am doing that. i'm posting via a mosiac-type browser and i see no option to turn off htm-tags. thanks for the other suggestions.
  2. Rex - "you" is such a generic term. americans use it all the time. so american aesthetics (given that i'm american..or a little americanized, depending on how you look at it) made me use that term. or i'd have posted using the phrase "how far can one drive...?" ok? period. or in your case, "full stop". what's YMMV?
  3. David - thanks for the "asshole" message. it gave me a kick ;-)
  4. Jeremy - i listen to a variety of songs, in various languages. and at times, sing out loud. that's how i stay awake, usually. and i eat light. that way, all the oxygen stays in my head :)
  5. Tom - thanks for that suggestion, but cruise control gets boring, no? also, i could get sleepy ;-)
  6. Cliff - I was being serious with my question. i wanted to know if a
99 model would have any problems if it were to run for that long. any trip over 300 or 500 miles? it's wise to ask a few silly questions. thanks for the tips. i got a full service a coupla months ago- and a 3-hour trip to baltimore went fine. so, i think i'm good :)
  1. Fred, Pete & Joe - thanks to both of you.

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
aagastya

Since i got 3 replies- and none of you got my question, I'll take the blame for not articulating the question properly.

So, here it is: Will there be any problems with my '99 323i car if I drive it continuously for almost 13 hours/roughly 850 miles? There, that's better. Thanks.

Still, I take credit for the post-question- "how far can you drive bmw without stopping?" it wasn't "how far can you drive without stopping?" now, was it???

:) :) :)

-A

As my 325 gets about 32 mpg at 60 mph, and as the gasoline tank holds about

16 gallons, it will not go 850 miles without stopping. Ignoring the gasoline stop because there aren't many cars that can go 850 miles on a single tank of gasoline, of course my 325 will go 850 miles without fear of failure. Jim

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Jim

There is a "miles remaining" display on our Z3, that tells me how many miles are left on the current tank if I maintain my present speed. Very handy for those times when you know there isn't any gas for the next hundred or so miles. I would assume this is a standard feature of the obc.

Reply to
perry lee

Your Mileage May Vary

What does light taste like?

Reply to
Rex B

I live near San Diego. I took myself, my wife, and two other adults in a

325i from our home to the Grand Canyon in a day. We stopped for a few photos, lunch and gas. It is something on the order of 600 miles from my house to The Hole.

If you take the required potty breaks, and get some food when you fill the tank, I see no reason why you couldn't make the journey without hitting a hotel, especially if you have another driver.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

this post is funny,

my advice is i agree with Rex, thats just the easier and safest way, you will barely lose a drop from the trip. unless theirs hills which you will burn more, but i doubt it.

and i think you can stay awake for 12 13 hours, just dont get to bored. your going to need a crap load of cd's

Reply to
ggslash