I'm done - '64 Beetle for sale

Selling my '64 Beetle. I'm not mad, upset, frantic, none of that. I attempted to drive my Beetle to work Friday and experienced 100% brake loss in the car. Fortunately I was on some back-roads where traffic was light. I still blew through a stop sign and a gas station parking lot, over a couple of speed bumps and into a ditch, all right in front of a highway patrol car (what the hell was he doing out there in the middle of nowhere at that time of day). No damage to the car or myself or anyone/anything else but things could have been a LOT worse if this had happened somewhere else. I realize that if I'd carefully inspected the brakes every 2-3 months or so, blah, blah, etc, etc that I could have probably prevented this. I'm just not at the point right now where I want to devote the time needed to keep an old car safely on the road. I haven't been driving it much anyway. I wouldn't want my kids to drive the car, just not safe enough. I'm sure I'll miss the car and I might even buy another one somewhere down the road, but now is just not the time for it. '64 Sunroof Beetle, very solid car, minimal rust (heater channels in GREAT shape), motor and transmission are the most solid of any I've owned of all of the Beetles I've had. I paid $3200 for the car about 2 years ago. I'm not gonna give this one away. Someone make me an offer? I'm next-door to Raleigh in North Carolina. Title is clean, no games, etc. I'll throw in a tow- bar for it so that you can get it safely home. If interested then please email me: travist67 at gmail dot com. Mario, don't bother. You're still the only person I've ever bothered to block in gmail in the YEARS I've been using it. And no, I'm not gonna make it into a baja and run it strictly offroad either. ;-) Although the thought did occur to me. I really don't expect to sell it out here but figured I'd try here first since I've gotten a lot of good advice and even entertainment from this newsgroup in the past. If it doesn't sell here then I'll probably fix the brakes and sell it on craigslist.

Reply to
Shag

Awwww. Hate to see it go...

Instead of Craigslist (or, in addition):

Wish you well on the sale and glad you were spared any injury.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Sad but I guess you need to do what you need to do. If I had the money I'd snatch it up. (I'll give you $200 for it, it's all I've got :D ) I can throw in a kid and one of the cats. Hell take the wife too she's a decent cook :D

Another vote for thesamba, and you could also put it on shoptalkforums.

I'd stay away from Craigslist, just heard too many negative stories. Maybe it's just me and my gut feeling.

Jan

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Shag, one of the things I miss about the old ramva are the very entertaining descriptions of your adventures in your 63.

So don't be a stranger. Tell us about your adventures.

Max

Reply to
Max

I had a kind of adventure Wednesday before last. I left at 12:15am to ride from my house in Fuquay Varina, NC down to Daytona Beach, Florida. And back. On my motorcycle. I made the trip in 17 hours. My average speed was a hair under 64 mph. That included stopping for breakfast (ate inside at Wendy's), stopping for lunch (at inside at Burger King), stopping at a Harley Dealer in Daytona Beach, and 11 stops for gas. 1083.3 miles total. I kept all of my gas receipts and got witnesses for the ride where I needed to in order to qualify for the Iron Butt Association "Toughest Riders In The World" certificate for their "Saddle Sore 1000" challenge. I still have to mail the paperwork in but my documentation for the ride is solid. No windshield on the bike. For those of you who ride, you know why I bothered to mention that detail. :-) I do NOT plan on doing that ride or a similar one again, but I am planning on heading back to Tail Of The Dragon again in September for my 5th trip out there. 318 curves in 11 miles of mountain road. Most of my spare time recently has been devoted to riding on and working on my motorcycle. I just added some chrome to it. Here's a few pictures of how it looks now. Got about 8,400 miles on it so far. 2009 Harley Davidson Street Bob:

youtube video of the bike running:

Shag

adjust that parking brake, and I'll come drive it home...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Understood, Shag. Well put, too.

FWIW, I'm done with the bugs. The 72 and 58 will go on a lot up the street once I get them running to my satisfaction, which could be any day now.

Putting the Bradley GTII back on the road this week.

Reply to
John Stafford

Well, shoot. You guys are flat bumming me out.

I'm still daily-driving aircooled, a 63 baja at the moment while I rebuild the engine in my 68 square (which I drive through the winter).

Max

Reply to
Max

. . . . Still putting about 3 to 4k per year on my bug for about seven years now. Still getting a smile on my face while driving it too.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

It's more like 25k / year for me. Lots of smiles!

I'll keeping doing it until I wear out. :)

Max

Reply to
Max

Shame to see that. Hopefully this can be a learning experience for others on the list, however. Unless you have a trailer queen undriven show bug....there is NO good reason not to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder. The feeling of helplessness when the whoah pedal doesn't whoah is one only those who have experienced it can describe. Personally, I went as far as 4 wheel disc brakes. There are some area's where bringing a little modernization to your vintage vehicle is not a bad thing. This is just such an area.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian