new 550i iDRIVE problems

I just got a new 550 (about 300 miles) and sometimes the idrive screen comes right up, and sometimes it sits on the "BMW" screen for 5-10 seconds. And at least once it stayed on the "BMW" screen for the entire time I drove it (about 15 minutes). Any ideas? Problems with the software?

The electronics in general stink compared to Lexus. But it is fun to drive!

Reply to
ag

A low miles E39 might prove to be the ultimate Why-drive cure.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

My idea is to take it back to the dealer because it is still in warranty. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Took it back to the dealer as you suggested. The sales manager said "well, I've seen this on 6 series and a few other 5's, but if you have service work on it they usually make it worse."

Pretty bad. It is clearly some sort of software issue. Sometimes it comes up to the "accept menu" right away, other times it just sits on the BMW for

10-15 seconds.

Reply to
ag

Could this delay be a symptom of the nav unit taking some time to get sync'd up with the GPS birds?

Reply to
daytripper

Don't think so. What is strange is sometimes it comes up right away with the accept button. Sometimes the BMW screen just sits there and I can hear the parking "beep" for the park distance, but no screen. Some sort of startup software issue in the system itself.

Reply to
ag

The wife's 06' 525Xi does the same thing. Sits and waits sometimes. No park distance graphic, but audio works. My 750Li is immediate, even before car is started.

Regards

Brian

Reply to
Brian Thomas

exactly what happens to mine. Has she had it looked at? What does the dealer say?

Reply to
ag