Problem with 2003 BMW 325xi Driver's Side Door Handle

I have a problem with the driver's side door handle of my 2003 BMW

325xi.

Here is how the problem started:

- I was unlocking my car from the outside with my automatic key by pushing the unlock button on my automatic key.

- At the same time that I was unlocking my car with the automatic key, I started to lift the exterior door handle on the driver's side of the car.

- As I lifted the exterior door handle at the same time that the interior lock was rising, something went amiss with the door handle, and I have no longer been able to open the door from the outside.

Here is how the problem is playing out:

- The driver's side door handle moves up and down (but much easier than before, as if nothing is being engaged by the door handle).

- I cannot open the driver's side door from the outside, not manually or otherwise, even when the door is unlocked.

- From the inside, everything works fine, and I can open the door normally.

Here are some questions:

- Is this an easy fix?

- Is it an expensive fix?

- Is it something that requires the door and window to be removed?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Augustus

Reply to
AJ

Sounds like the linkage has come off.

You will need to take the interior door trim off.

You may be able to see how to sort it, otherwise it is a trip to the shop.

Assuming you haven't actually broken anything then it should be a cheap fix.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton