Radio Removal Question

OK, I think I am going to try and remove the radio, open it up and clean out the volume pot. I think that is what is causing the noise. Any ideas on how to remove a radio from a 1992 525i BMW? I see the little hinges on the side, do you stick something in the holes to release the unit? Thanks!

Reply to
Scott

Assuming this is a genuine BMW radio, similar to the Business RDS. Pop open the tabs. Underneath you'll find a small socket that you need to stick a tiny allen key into. Just turn it about 20 times and it'll pull the locking tab forwards and release it.

Reply to
John Burns

You can try cleaning the volume pot. My luck with that sort of thing has been quite poor. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, you stick a special 5-sided allen key in those little holes, and take the special 5-sided allen screws out. The special tool is at yoru BMW dealership, and it has a little blade on one end to pry the little covers open to expose the special 5-sided allen screws so you can use the special

5-sided allen key.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Now isn't that special?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If you're a purist you need a small five sided allen key, but you can jam a small strong screwdriver tip in there if you're desperate. Once you get it out it's easier to biff the old unit and put something better that plays CD's in there instead. I've replaced two dud BMW stereos in E34's after having no luck fixing them.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

What you just wrote is important to me. I have a cassette player in my '98 318ti and it is OK (Nice radio with nice controls, etc) but when I contacted the BMW dealer and asked for an add on CD player I was quoted $650! (He knew before he called me back I wouldn't spend like that!)

So let me ask, what is the drill here? Does one go to an after-market car stero shop and ask them to pull and replace? Of if one wants to be more economical, like me, what should one look for and what should one pay? And what about fitting it into the space without gaps and wiring harness problems, etc.?

I am truly a newbie in this area and will appreciate any suggestions.

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

FWIW, you don't take them *out*; you *unscrew them*, which retracts little wedge things on the side of the unit, allowing it to be slid out of the hole.

However, if you buy the tool from someplace like Bavarian Autosport (~$20 with shipping), you have to pry the little doors open yourself; no blade. Given that you can nnormally pop them open with a fingernail, that's no great loss.

In addition, to keep your car's alarm system from triggering (I got warning beeps when beginning to 'tamper' with mine until I tried this.), you need to remove the radio with the ignition switched on.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; got the tool)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Good call. The screws are captive, and they won't physically come out. They can be unscrewed, they can't be taken out. Perhaps they can be taken out, but they only need to be unscrewed to get the radio out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There is a six-disc changer that goes into the trunk. The wire is already in the car, just find a changer on eBay and install it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland