Re: 2000 528i airbag warning light

What Dave said.

If Dave is right, then the Airbag light can only be reset with the diagnostic tool. The dealership should reset this as part of the service charge for the repairs, if those repairs were done at the dealership. Otherwise, find an independent BMW service center and pay a small fee.

My Airbag light was on, and the fault code was that the Airbag light was not working. I found it somewhat amusing that the Airbag light would be used as an indicator to tell me that the Airbag light was not working.

A friend broke the passenger window on her 528i with a hammer and after > husband replaced the window the airbag warning light is on. How can it be > fixed/reset? > > Many thanks in advance, > > Steve > >
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm not a fan of BMW dealerships or their diagnostic tools. If that's what's needed then surely it's just a matter of either shorting a couple of pins or applying a particular voltage to the correct pin for a certain length of time? Friend's husband is a mechanic so he had to replace the window since he was responsible for making her break it (by suggesting car had to be sold and replaced with a Diahatsu) but I'm not sure what he removed or unplugged. She has described it as being the passenger (left side) airbag rather than a door airbag (do they have door airbags?) if that makes any difference.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

Care to run that by me again? :-)

My 528 has airbags in both doors and dash and wheel.

After you remove the door trim, there's a membrane glued to the door to waterproof it. And the airbag fits on top of this. Now it's possible you don't need to remove the entire membrane to change the window as I've not done it. But I do know if you remove the airbag the battery must be disconnected first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Airbag light can be triggered by any of several different things. If the ignition was switched on during the service work that had the air bag disconnected, then the light will be set on.

The Airbag is a system that demands the service diagnostic tool to reset it. There is no way around this that I know of. Perhaps you can buy the tool and reset it yourself, but unless you will be using the tool repeatedly, you may as well find a BMW mechanic that already owns one. He would likely be willing to reset all codes if you let him do an oil change for you.

The ABS system is designed such that the ABS can work properly, then not work and set the light on, then the next time you start the car the ABS works again. The SRS is not designed the same way. Once there is an SRS system failure detected, the failure is indicated until it can be properly diagnosed and corrected, and is then reset by the mechanic. I understand that you probably know what caused the failure mode, and you are satisfied that it is working correctly. But the system still thinks there is an error. My SRS displayed an error that said the SRS system error indicator light was not working correctly. The mechanic reset the circuit for me, and the light never came on again until I turned the ignition on while the passenger side airbag was disconnected while changing the microfilter. The mechanic reset the light again and it has not come back on. My mechanic resets my diagnostics for free because i give him the jobs that I am not willing ot able to do on my own.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The dealer, if in the States, is going to hit her for something in the neighborhood of $100 to reset the light. My suggestion is to look in the phone book for a local BMW mechanic and ask him to reset the light while he is resetting the service indicator after the next oil change. If you are going to pay a mechanic to reset the light, you may as well get an oil change out of the deal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland