Regarding the show "Top Gear" ...

I heard a few weeks ago that they did an episode that featured the new M5. Did anyone see it? Does anyone know which episode it was -- what day and month? Or am I mistaken and they didn't feature it?

Reply to
Sharkman540i

I thought it was Fifth Gear that featured the M5 recently. I haven't seen the episode, but recall people mentioning that it was Tiff Nedell(sp?) driving it that was the highlight of the show. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Top Gear seem to have given up on car reviews and are now concentrating on stupid races.

Reply to
Harry

Like everything on the BBC it has to be dumbed down so that it appears to a wider audience. An informed educational consumer programme like "Top Gear" used to be is simply not cool enough.

David

Reply to
David Haggas

There would be no justification in spending the sort of budget Top Gear gets now on the older style of programme because it simply didn't get the viewers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting. I saw a pretty thourough look see at a GT3 a couple of weeks ago. It was on the race to France show between the train and a Aston Martin or somesuch.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

AFAIK yes, Fifth Gear on Channel 4. Tiff Needell is the spelling, I think, ex-BBC's Top Gear. Saw the prog, 2nd half, jut missing the M5 :-(

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling
5th gear did it a while ago, but Top Gear has it this Sunday (24th July) BBC2 8pm, repeated on the Tuesday 7pm.
Reply to
zerouali

Reply to
Abujamin

What show is that? Is it in the uk?

Reply to
zerouali

YES, it's bloody fantastic, you can view it here (~10mb, poor quality)

or here if streaming isn't your thing...

it's got a bad aspect ratio, so playing in something that can adjust it to 16:9 would be good

one thing i noticed though, tiff flogs the absolute crap out of it, but it's only got 1300 miles on the clock! ouch

Reply to
papa guiseppi

oh sorry my bad, this is from 5th gear, i keep relating tiff to top gear, but now it's idiot clarkson and his little sidekick

tiff and vicki any day !

Reply to
papa guiseppi

Nice clip!

I wonder why Tiff et al & Jeremy parted company.

And who is The Styg???

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I can only assume it's because Tiff refused to submit to Jeremy's fascist manner of running the show. Tiff didn't want to be Jeremy's hand puppet (anymore?). Too bad, because he is by far the better driver of the two (and even more so compared to JC's two new sidekicks).

Even so, I prefer Top Gear over 5th Gear. With the exception of the occasional M5 thrashing by Tiff, the rest of 5th Gear is too tame.

The Stig is probably just an ex-BTC driver or F-1 test driver (or is that giving him too much credit?).

Reply to
Peter Bozz

I expect you are right.

Clarkson's sidekicks really are his poodles, whereas the previous members of the team (Tiff N incl) showed their own 'oomph'.

Still, I quite like JC's humour and style most of the time, as long as he sticks to motoring. In The Sunday Times News Review section he has a more general column and I don't find myself reading that every week.

I think Top Gear attracts good guests and cars because it is the BBC. Even my 8-yr-old son is hooked on it and he is amused by the occasional refs to kids being allowed to stay up and watch (as it is around his bed time).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

In message , Peter Bozz writes

Perry McCarthy according to this:-

Ian Edwards

Top gear finished with no plans to bring it back. Tiff - possibly desperate for work - started with CH5 on contract for 5th Gear. Clarkson had other sources of income - journalism etc. So when the new series was planned for BBC 2 - probably by a new head of department, Tiff wasn't free to join them - if indeed he was asked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, that was the old Stig. He drowned when his car went overboard during a stunt on an aircraft carrier.

His replacement is rumored to be a certain Ben Collins.

Reply to
Peter Bozz

This makes more sense than my theory of conflict between Tiff and JC.

Reply to
Peter Bozz