Removing the back seat in an E34

I have a 1994 530i (E34 with M60 engine) and have not been able to figure out how to remove the back seat so I can access the battery. Can anybody help me with the procedure for this? The manual doesn't seem to be any help or I just didn't see the instructions. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Vern

Reply to
Vernon Balbert

Come on its simple, just pull up! Here's some pics:

bfd

Simply give the front part of the seat a good yank upwards. They're usually quite stiff. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk went clickity-clack on the keyboard and spewed out this:

Everytime I've tried this it seems like it's fastened with something and I'm afraid I'll break it.

Reply to
Vernon Balbert

You need to pull harder. :-) There's 2 catches, bent like a 'U' on the underside front of the squab. They're about a foot in from each side, so if you pull the squab up at those points, I'm sure nothing will break. Fitted, the squab is a very tight fit at the back. The upholstery in effect, pushes the squab forwards, putting quite a lot of pressure on the front 'catches'. It's only this pressure thats making it stiff. Give a jerk rather than a pull at one end, then do the same to the other end. It'll come. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk went clickity-clack on the keyboard and spewed out this:

Thanks! You're right, I just had to pull harder. A good jerk did the trick. Before I just tried to pull up gently.

Reply to
Vernon Balbert