Repair nipple for 528e radiator

I've got a 1988 528e. The plastic nipple on the top right of the radiator (that connects to the vent house going to the expansion tank) has broken off. I've seen repair nipples for other models, but not this one. Has anyone tried them? Could I thread a metal male NPT-to-hose-barb adapter into the plastic of the radiator tank? Would this hold?

Thanks for any advice.

-aj

Reply to
aj

Will it work for a short period? If you do a good job it probably would. Will it last? I would not bet money on it. I'd just as well plunk down $200 to get a new radiator. Engine overheating is not something I like to deal with.

Reply to
yaofeng

I'm having trouble with the visual, but I think I agree with you, this is a temporary fix at best. I'd not worry about the nipple going to the expansion tank IF the cooling system is otherwise strong. There is no pressure on the overflow hose, but there is considerable heat. I's be looking to repair the nipple with some epoxy, or something along those lines ... I'd not be forcing a mechanical fit into the plastic because I have first hand knowledge of the result of a catastrophic failure of the radiator.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland