rolling windows up with key?

Interesting as this does not work on my '99 328i. The key will lower the windows when turned in the door keyhole, but not simply by holding the lock button down (tried it for 20"). I wonder which E46 year was the first for this feature.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Maybe it's something that needs to be programmed in the OBC? I got mine reprogrammed at the dealership as I didn't want the autolock on the doors. In the newer models you can program alot more yourself into the OBC (my wife activated the autolock doors option herself from the iDrive, for example). Maybe the dealer activated the feature to remotely close the doors and moonroof on my E46 (2002 model year)? I just know in my case when any windows are open, holding down the lock button (the BMW bezel) on my remote closes them remotely. I don't remember even having used my keys to open or close anything on my car.

Reply to
wernergr

there have been some accidents with children (including a horiffic accident in which a 2 y.o. girl was decapitated while standing on the close window switch) that have lead car makers to limit some of the auto features for closing sunroofs and windows.

In europe there are tight restrictions about what the car can do when the key is removed.

that is why some newer cars seem to have less advanced auto close features than older cars.

Reply to
marco

'Our' electric windows simply don't have enough power to decapitate. I doubt any have. Try stopping one with your hand to prove this. Strangle a child, possibly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yea... i am still trying to figure this one out.... if you stand on a switch, which means you are pressing down, it should lower the window... and the second thing... whats a 2 y.o. doing standing in vehicle ????

Reply to
675daytona via CarKB.com

With a *rocker* switch, which is what BMW used to use (the current ones are rockers, too, but not hinged in the middle), pressing down on one end lowers the window and pressing on the other end raises it.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers