Service History

Hi. I hope someone on here can offer me some advice.

I have a 2001 Z3 which I've owned since mid-2005. The car hasn't been my daily driver and therefore has quite low mileage (had done 20K miles when I bought it, and is now at

30K miles just under two years later). Because of the low number of miles and the type of driving I do, it still has two green service indicators showing. Well, it did until today.

Over the next few weeks, the car will be being used on a daily basis, so even though I had two green lights left, I wanted to get the oil changed so that I wasn't driving around on two year old oil. I took it to a local garage (not a BMW one) to have this done. When I went to pick it up this afternoon, they'd done the oil change, and told me they'd also reset my "oil lights". I wasn't sure what they meant at first, but it quickly dawned on me that they'd reset the service indicators.

So here's my problem - when I bought the car it had had it's first oil service at around 9K miles, and its inspection 1 at the 20K miles point (just before I bought it). Both of these were carried out a the BMW dealership. I had intended to continue this trend (or at least use an independent BMW garage) but I now have the problem of a car that hasn't actually been serviced but has all its indicators lit. I'd really like to salvage my car's service history as best I can out of this. I can see two possible solutions:

  1. Have the car properly serviced straight away, with the service indicators being left as they now are. The problem with this is that, AIUI, when it's serviced they'll put the full set of x's in the service book to show that it had all its indicators lit when the service was carried out. This is going to appear odd, as it'll look like I managed to go from 20K miles to 30K miles without any of the indicators going out.

  1. Have the garage that did the oil change record the mileage, and the number of lights lit in the service book and stamp it, along with an explanation that only the oil was changed and that the indicators were mistakenly reset. Then have a BMW garage do the oil service. The mileages recorded will be virtually the same, which should indicate that the proper service was carried out right after the lights had been reset.

Has anyone any suggestions on the best way to go with this? I should also point out that I was considering trading the car in in a month or so, and am wondering what impact this messing up of the service record will have on the trade-in value.

TIA.

Reply to
scratchpocket

wrote

You have the receipts, don't you? So no problem.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

The Service Interval and the Oil Change Interval are separate. The oil change place reset the oil change interval indicator. Drive happy ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I forgot, that old piece of crap has no value, you may as well dump it off in my driveway and let me get rid of it for you ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, I don't follow you here. On my cars they were the same with one readout on the dash: a series of lights on my Z3 and a mileage countdown on both my E46 and Z4. Every second (scheduled) oil change, the service is called an "Inspection". But they are both "services".

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Careful, or Jeffy might divide Z4/Z3 and, from that, conclude that the Z4 needs more maintenance.

Once, Jeffy divided 328/325, as if that had something to do with engine torque.

*snork*
Reply to
dizzy