Steering/suspension noise

My car (an '06 reg diesel VW Touran) has started making "sproinging" noises from somewhere underneath as I turn the steering wheel from side to side. I suspect it happens at all speeds but it's most noticeable at low speed and when parking.

It sounds like something that ought to be sliding smoothly is catching intermittently and then releasing with a little jump making the low pitched "sproing" or twanging noise.

What's it likely to be? Is there anything I should be doing that would help me isolate the source of the noise?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

broken spring is the first likely suspect

Reply to
Mrcheerful

as Mr C says possibly broken spring or the top shock bearing playing "catch-up"

Reply to
reg

It certainly sounds like a spring being slightly wound up and then unwinding. I've have a gander underneath.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If the spring were broken wouldn't the car be a bit lopsided and probably clonking over bumps? Don't have either of those symptoms.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

no, it is usually just the last coil that goes and there is not usually any height difference. A common way to find out that you have a broken spring is either the MoT or when it tears the side out of your tyre (which if it happens at speed may be lethal)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" wrote in news:8k2ar.12053$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.ams:

Have the same clonking on my VW so took in for an MOT - Yep, broken springs..

Reply to
SteveN

Ditto, but on a Vauxhall.

Im sure springs never uesd to break as often as they do now.

Reply to
Tom Burton

What, you mean back in the days when we didn't have worse roads than some third world countries? Or speed humps?

Add to that the very low profile many cars have, and it becomes ever more likely that something is going to break.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reply to
Chris Whelan

and the fact that all cars are far heavier than they used to be and as a result have to have stiffer springs and heavier damping. Which also means the brakes are far more powerful and strain the front suspension even more, etc etc. Thirty years ago the only springs that I remember changing were over worked rear leaf springs on vans.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well the good news is that it was only a knackered top mount apparently. Springs fine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie