Stereo Upgrade...

I have an 89 325i that did not come with the premium sound system. I have added the door tweeters but they don't seem to work. Is there wiring that has to be added or just what's alreay there? Also, has anyone ever added the premium sound system later? There are a couple or them with it in the local yard and I have rhought about it. Almost wonder if it would be worth it but if the wiring is already in place it would be easy. I don't think the wiring is there though...

Reply to
Psycho

Wiring is not there unless it came with it, a cheaper way to do it is to get a good 4 channel amp. Wire in the RCA converters to the back of your deck (about $8 ea. at Radio shack) pick up a set of components(mids and highs) for your front doors, the benefit of buying them together is that you usually get the crossover with the set. Then just plug it all in. I know that people will disagree with the RCA convertors, but the stock deck is fine for pushing signal. and the bonus is that it keeps people from breaking into your car and stealing your stuff... Think about it, are thieves more likely to break your window for the stock deck out of an 89 325 or for some nice aftermarket unit. If you get really ambitious the decks out of the e39s fit nicely with minimal modification and then you get all the cd changer control and the newer, nicer set up.

Reply to
Corey Shuman

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I put the door tweeters in and they don't seem to work which leads me to believe the wires aren't connected. I have a Blaupunkt head unit in the car as the stock radio was pretty worn. Was looking for an easy alternative to running a bunch of extra wiring but all in all it's not that bad. Most certainly get better sound from a newer unit anyhow...

Reply to
Psycho