UK-Buying a M3 Convertible

Has anyone heard of this :-

Go into a BMW dealer, ask them to register a car to your specification and for them to run it as a demonstrator. After 2000 miles or 3 months they sell it to you at a massive discount , I'm talking about 10,000 of list price.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Cook

No but I wouldn't have thought it was unfeasable although it seems abit odd or we'd all do it.

Anyway, why buy a new M3 cab when the new one will be out next year (if not before!)

Reply to
TonyK

I can't imagine why a dealer would do it - it is VERY uncommon in the US to be allowed to test drive a new M3 unless you do it on BMW-NA's dime during one of their driving events.

It sounds nice - but bet he can't find a dealer to do it. You might be better off asking a dealer to find you an "executive" car - one driven by BMW staff. In the US - some of the BMW-NA people are required to drive a BMW, and get a new one every 6 months. I couldn't stand the perpetual breaking in process myself.

Current date is more like 2008 for a cabriolet. The standard E90 coupe hasn't even made it out the door yet - much less a M3 cab.

Reply to
admin

Yeah, that would be really rough. Having to break in the cars so you can get new ones every 6 months... For free (or at least included in your compensation package).

Sign me up!!!

Reply to
Fred W

Actually I agree with admin -- it's refreshing that someone else admits to this.

If it was part of my job spec that's different, but my own car? No thanks.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Depends on how they feel about the new one. I bought an E46 right after I saw the impending E90 ;)

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

And even though my reply was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I too was being dead serious.

I don't find it stressfull in the least to drive a car during "break-in". It just means driving sedately for a few thousand miles. Being a COF (crusty old fart), I actually drive fairly sedately most of the time anyway, so no big deal. Just have to surpress the occasional urges when they arise. In compensation for getting to drive a brand new BMW every 6 months... I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Fred W

It is not just a case of sedate driving. One should keep going through the gears and changing engine speed. All day 60 mph doesn't do the new engine any good.

I did realise that your reply was humorous but that still didn't stop me agreeing with admin :-)

I may also be on the way to being a COF (and do less that 5000 miles p.a at present) but I still would not like to change cars every six months. I frequently hire cars and, of course, they are often technically within the running-in period (which many car manufacturers claim has actually been eliminated) but I don't care...

Every two years, now that's a different proposition... Got any of those?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

ASK them to use your car as a demo? No. I've heard of people buying demos -- mine was a demo unit -- but I've never heard of requesting a spec car then asking them to use it as a demo. I can't imagine why they would agree to do that for you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland