What is your MPG?

I resently acquired a 2003 525 with 6k miles on it; the only issue is been the gas indicator that for some reason never "marks" a full tank - my BMW Center changed the left sender, but it still doen't go to full. After they changed the sender I've noticed my MPG numbers (as indicated by the computer) drop from around 17 to 10 MPG!!! No, no hard driving, but 70% is city driving.

What gives?

Reply to
cavaleroinc

If it doesn't go to F, then you are not filling the tank. And, so what?

And, the mileage will not change because the sending unit is changed. Reset the Average Consumption and move on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

How do I re-set the Average Consumption on my 535i please? pete

Reply to
me9

I don't know where the buttons are on the 5 Series, but if you select the CONSUM1 or CONSUM2 display, then press the Reset button, the display will magically give you the current consumption rate. As you watch the display, it will change as the conditions change. The changes will slow over time -- a couple of minutes -- and stabalize, where the changing conditions will have less and less affect on the display. Eventually, the display will tell you what the fuel consumption rate is for the driving conditions you have.

I like to use CONSUM1 to give the average consumption for the particular tank of gas I am currently working on, and CONSUM2 to give the consumption rate over several tanks of gas.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Around 47 mpg in my 320d

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
ena

I think mine does that itself. pete

Reply to
me9

Wow that's low. On my Roadster S I get just under 29 mpg. That's with a 3.4 litre engine too.

Reply to
Sam Smith
5.6km/ltr on an x5 4.4i
Reply to
Henrik Ohm Eriksen
"

BMW make excelent Diesel engines with more torque than the Gas versions - but they can sell everything thay can produce of Diesel cars in Europa - the gas milage is excelent on the Diesel engines - I am shure someday they are going to sell them in US too.

I went from Copenhagen to Stockholm yesterday and back today (around 1200 km) and that was on one tank of gas (63 litres)

Reply to
ena

Gas or Diesel?

Reply to
Josh Assing

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:05:34 +0200, "ena" waffled on about something:

40 mpg in my '96 325 TDS Auto.

Hehe... This is the thread the diesel owners can really enjoy :-)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

That would be diesel ;-)

I'm doing +-1000 km with mine, average consumption: 5.9 l / 100 km with mixed driving

1 litre of diesel in Belgium today: 1.097 euro

(1999 E46 320d 136BHP 140.000km)

Reply to
Bart Deschacht
1995 525 TDS SE (Auto!!) ( would have preferred manual / stick) but I still get around 48 mpg on runs and about 35 mpg around town - diesel in France about 1.07 Euros / Litre at the moment and about 95p / litre in UK

Nick

Reply to
Nick

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:06:52 GMT, "Nick" waffled on about something:

I think you'll find the 5 speed autobox you have is actually better on a long run than the manual as it has a very tall cruising 5th gear.

On my '96 325 TDS Auto (same engine and 5 speed box I believe), you'll be doing 2000rpm at 80mph and looking at aprox 50mpg... Always makes me feel incredibly smug when I'm cruising along the motorway... :-)

I may however be completely wrong and the manual has a 40mph per

1000rpm 5th too!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Hi,

No - You are quite right - about 2000 rpm at about 80 mph and if I hold it at about 60 mph i.e. just into top with lock-up it will do slightly better, although I think about 70 is optimum as it just can't hold slopes at 1500 rpm without changing down.

Update on the starting probs - I had all the injectors re-conned as the next step was to take them out and check them - the master injector was replaced with a new one and the others were re-conned - the guy said that they did need doing and that this work restored them to as-new condition ( I guess he would wouldn't he ?) anyway it has been starting perfectly every time on a near empty tank so fingers crossed once again....

Just as a point of interest, I had a long full throttle thrash up a long steep piece of steep dual carriageway and was running about 4500 rpm at WOT for about a minute and no smoke at all and the other side was steep downhill, and I kept it at about 3000 rpm with foot off the throttle for about 90 secs (and by this time the engine was good and hot) then floored it at the bottom and again not a hint of smoke, so I conclude that the bores and valve guides are just fine, which is pleasing. It doesn't use any oil between my oil changes which I do at about 4 or 5000 miles as I do a bit of town driving, and I do like young oil in my engines.

Thanks for the comments

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Eep... I manage a minimum of 8 l / 100 km (2003 320D, 150bhp) and that's highway driving!

Don't care - I'm from Belgium as well, but I get my diesel a LOT cheaper than that. And even if it was 10 euros a litre I'd still be driving :)

Princess Morgiah

Reply to
Princess Morgiah

From where? NL?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I am back to 18+MPG, not too bad, not too great. Don't know what happened, but I am back to how it was before....

Reply to
cavaleroinc

I get about 17 in my 4.4 740i 2 miles to work and back every say and about 20 in the 3.2 M3 but I suspect my gallons are bigger than yours.

Reply to
adder1969

On 1 Nov 2005 04:02:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk waffled on about something:

By 32 fl oz I would guess... After all, only an American could say

18mpg, not bad! Eeeeek!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy