what's best service manual to get for e39 autos?

hello, my car has developed a groaning sound (sound likes bad bearing on pulley or something like this) coming from engine bay. It's still under warranty so I figure I'll wait until it breaks so I can take it to dealer.

I also had an incident with dealer where I asked them to look at rattling sound from rear driver's side door but they said it's the weather stripping. I can definately hear something loose inside door when I shake the door with my hand!

I think the dealer scammed me for $115!

I bought a service manual CD from ebay but it's format is aweful. It doesn't show you how to take apart the different sections of the car. BMW doors are the most over-engineered doors I've ever seen!! I'm used to working on american or japanese cars. If I knew how to take apart these doors I wouldn't have to get taken advantage of by dealers.

Thanks,

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

The Bentley manual is the best, but its not necessarily the most illuminating when it comes to detailed instructions. It's also expensive.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

That's a bad plan if I ever heard one.

Why wait till it breaks and rips 25 other things apart and requires a ride on a flatbed truck, when you have an opportunity to drive in the comfort of your very own car to fix one tiny little thing before it becomes several major things? Sheesh!

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Point taken! It's at dealer...again.

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

Point taken! It's at dealer...again.

Oskar

As for the manual, get the one from Robert Bentley Publishers. I found mine at Barnes & Nobel. You can likely get a better price is you shop around more than I do. I think you can find them on eBay, and for sure they will be at Amazon.com

The manual won't tell you much about moans and groans, it will tell you which bolts are holding the moaning and groaning parts in place though.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland