advice for e39 (2002 525) and door seals

Does the owners manual say anything about using silicone grease on the seals?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

hello, I started getting door rattling from the rear doors. Car is still under warranty so took it to dealer and they said the door seals are the source of the problem. The door seals are NOT covered by warranty and cost approx $300 per door (total of $1200!!!).

I've done some google research and found the door seals to be likely source of rattling. In the research I've seen one solution suggests using wool tape. This helps to stop the rattling by filling in gap caused by poor door seal gap.

My question is how have others solved this problem? Does the wool tape seem a good idea? Is it better to change seals? Which seal do I change? There are several seals on door and auto frame where doors go.

I'm open to suggestions!!

Thank you,

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

The manual will tell you to use "BMW Gummipflege" on them, and the stuff does stop squeaking very effectively and some kinds of rattling, BUT it has been discontinued and you can't get it any more.

Wurth makes something they claim is identical. I have not used it.

If the rattling is from the seal being crushed and not returning it its normal size, nothing will be a permanent repair other than replacing the seals. You can do the job yourself; it's not that hard and requires only a razor blade the the 3M weatherstripping adhesive. I don't know what the parts cost.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That's B.S. door seals are absolutely covered under warranty and there is a service alert out for them on E39's and e46's. I had all 4 doors on my E46 disassembled and rebuilt for rattling twice in 3 months by the dealer and I never paid a dime.

Reply to
spielmanm

Missed the original post, but E39 vapor seals are notorious for adhesive bead failures and subsequent leaking into the floor wells. It's an easy fix with the proper 3M sealant (a black gooey strip designed for sealing windows). As the car is a 2002, it's well out of warrantee (unless a CPO) and it'll probably be the owner's nickel.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier