Service manual for 2001 T&C

Anyone have a recommendation for a service manual for my 2001 Town & Country Limited? One of my side sliding doors intermittently fails to automatically open/close. The dealer wants $500 to replace the latch assembly. I want to see how difficult the job is so maybe I can start fixing these very tempermental doors myself. I'm also wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to buy parts such as this latch assembly. I'm trying to avoid the dealer as best I can.

Thanks, Luke

Reply to
Luke Packard

automatically

Purchase the factory manual. What is the problem you are having with the door?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi Glenn,

The door does not open/close when its not hot outside or when its not in the sun. If the door sits in the sun it opens/closes just fine. Same problem I reported on this newsgroup back in Oct of '07. Does what the deal says make sense? Is this something I can replace easily and do I need the service manual? In my opinion this is a defect since it works when the door is warm.

-Luke

Reply to
Luke Packard

Yes I remember that post, and you never did do as I said to do checking ou the track harness. good luck with the latch. I seriously doubt it fixe your problem. I suggest you go back to the archives and perform the test wanted you to do. You want to stay away from the dealer yet you may be putting a $500 par on that wont fix the problem? Defect???

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tec

-

Message posted using

information at

damnnickname

Good memory Glenn! :)

Well, I guess I was going down the path that the dealer correctly diagnosed the problem and I was trying to see if I could get the part wholesale somewhere and install it myself to save some $$.

I will check the harness as you suggested but first I have one question. You said to check the harness for a broken wire (normally the ground wire). But if I have a broken wire then why is it the door sometimes works? Broken wires usually mean something would never work, right?

The other suggestion you had was that it could be a bad switch on the latch. Can these switches be obtained and replaced separately from the latch assembly? If not then I'm back to what the dealer diagnosed and again searching for the latch assembly to see if I can save money installing myself. If you know this is a complicated job that requires special tools and skills the please let me know so I don't waste my time.

Thanks again for your help,

Luke

Reply to
Luke Packard

If you look at the harness, it looks like a bulldozer track that goes around. The wires in that track will make and break contact as the track (door opens and closes) moves. It isnt just a harness that is sitting in one place. Why not take a look at it first? you cannot buy the switches seperate

Reply to
maxpower