Why are most 3 series autos? More on transmissions

My Toyota has 180K miles on it and the transmission is good as new (auto).

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse.

I just can't understand why BMW in SOME of their cars used an inferior POS GM transmission which breaks down on a lot of people after a few years. At least on late 90s early 2000s 3 series. Maybe it's better now, they smartened up and redesigned the thing or changed their supplier.

I'll just buy a manual I figure, but there aren't many manuals out there.

I would guess 90% are autos, at least where I live.

I mean a transmission (auto) should last pretty much forever, I'd think. At least 250K miles.

Reply to
kpb

there are too many autos because: Most sheeple buy autos because they are lazy or too clumsy to learn how to shift Manual owners KNOW what to buy and tend to keep them longer or forever, so there are less available.

Reply to
Bubbles

Well I'm waiting for someone to tell me that "Oh, yes, BMW saw the error of their ways and no longer uses that GM POS transmission. In the 2003 series and later it's MUCH better. So fear not."

I've googled it but can't seem to find out if they changed it up by the later model years.

Reply to
kpb

Fear not, I am picking up a '02 325xiT Steptronic with 115k miles. I have no fear... but the first thing I am doing is flushing ALL the fluids.

Reply to
Bubbles

Many buy autos because of heavy town traffic.

If there are less made of a particular model of course they'll be rarer secondhand. Basic maths.

What is this snobbery about manuals? In the UK most learn to drive on one so it's not a question of learning how to. But most BMWs sold here - especially the larger ones - are autos. And these sell for a premium secondhand.

The days when there was a big difference between manual and auto in performance and economy have gone. With autos narrowing the gap with each new development.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On smaller cars most are manuals, so the autos are rarer and attract a premium.

On the larger cars a manual shift is more of a pain to use (heavy clutch, large angular momentum due to V8 and big flywheel (less on i6's)) and in 99% of situations there is a surplus of torque and power, so you don't need the manual to maximise what is put on the road. Sure a big manual is a pleasure to drive on unrestricted A roads (A7, A148, A9 etc.) and easy on the motorway, but they are hard work to drive across London even for me (6'8").

Well actually autos are probably ahead. Big beemers now have 6 speed auto, the mph/kmph in top is higher than a manual, the economy is better and the cruise control works better.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Maybe, but the same applies to most larger cars where the majority are auto these days. If you look at 5 Series prices in the UK manuals of the same spec fetch considerably less secondhand.

There's still an economy penalty in stop start traffic though. Probably the drag of the torque convertor when idling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where the auto is an option it is very costly and this is reflected in the SH price.

By contrast the difference in small Fords is much less and used to be negative, even though an auto cost more when new.

Soon to be eliminated as well - I think Merc' already can completely disengage when stationary.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I get the impression that in the US, and to a lesser extent in the UK, that it is considered macho to drive a manual, and that autos are for those who can't really drive. Which is a load of nonsense of course. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Only because they are a 'must have' in this class of car. Other expensive options add little to the re-sell value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe the most efficient drive system is CVT which is usually paired up with a servo clutch, but people just don't like them so the designer's have ended up making them less efficient by stepping up the ratios. Also still immature in terms of reliability.

What you really need is an electric drive, clutches are only really a requirement for IC engines. There might be a small requirement for gear changing but that can be sychronised electronically.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

Yes ofcourse Its a macho thing, I've even heard women say they are not in "control" of the car If they drive an automatic. I am happy to admit I've only once in my life balanced the car in a slide - It was on a large ice covered car park that had a tree in the middle IO could go around - it was sort of fun to change the cornering angle by the throttle - However If anyone tried to do that on a regular basis on the road they should be banned

(The wimmin line was post ironic - OK?)

Some may disagree BUT I've thought that as most new cars are only bought for a couple of years or by Companies then BMW (just like all the others) look at how to keep the cost down. If this means fitting "sealed for life" items or not changing the oil as often as needed to ensure your car lasts 300k (or your 320D turbos to last for more than 50k :) ) then so be it

Reply to
Tommy

Then whoever needs to learn how to drive it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ARen't you afraid the trannie will be some GM piece of junk that will fail soon?

Reply to
kpb

Not nonsense. Just because you use an auto does not mean that you cannot really drive. But if you cannot really drive, you are almost certainly using an auto.

Reply to
Mike Scheer

I had a cheap Mazda GLC for ten years, and put 135k miles on it before I sold it, still running like a top. The ONLY time I ever had even a hint of a problem with the auto trans was the morning we set an all-time record low temp here in Atlanta, -8 F. That morning the little trans was hesitant shifting on my initial drive-off, but after warm-up, it was its usual steady self.

It's really easy to understand, actually. They did it to increase profits, i.e. cheat customers.

One of my cars is a manual, but I got an auto in the Bummer because my wife just doesn't do manual well, plus, the Bummer I have just wouldn't seem right with a manual.

Complicated yes, but auto trannies were perfected long ago. The only reason they fail now is cheap manufacture/design, or abuse of course. It's ironinc that Americans wrote the book on auto trannies, but American car makers are known for producing shitty ones now.

Reply to
floresrikitic

Where do you get this crap? Most people buy autos because they less trouble to drive. And no one thinks of putting a manual in a luxury car, for good reason.

Chuckle

Reply to
floresrikitic

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

You hear that a lot from the junveniles in this ng who drive the $3000 bummers.

Silly youngster talk is all it is.

Reply to
floresrikitic

I know that and you know that. I just didn't express myself very well. My comment was really aimed at those who appear to believe that real men drive manuals, and only wimps drive automatics. :-)

My daily driver is an automatic because IMO it makes more sense in towns and increasingly so on todays frequently congested roads, but up until a few months ago I had a manual Toyota Celica GT4 turbo as a fun or weekend car. Manual or automatic I'm equally at home with either, but a manual can be a real PITA if you're caught in a slow moving traffic jam for a few miles, which are quite frequent in the UK. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I did 60 minutes of bumper to bumper today... YES, it sucked. But, I would not buy an auto just because of that, but that is me. In my 540 auto, I was riding the brakes to keep from moving, now I just ride the clutch to keep on moving! I would drive a 5 or 7 series auto, and have, but in a 3, I prefer the fun and "sure thing" in the trouble free tranny department of a manual.

Reply to
Bubbles