Z4 + Winter Tires, your experience ?

Hi,

I love my Z4 2.5 2003! I drive it during summer, and I use another car during winter.

I just crashed my winter car, and I'm wondering if I should buy another new small winter car, or go for the winter tires on the Z4... (I'd rather the later for financial reasons mainly).

We have pretty decent winter here in upstate NY (Albany, USA), at least

4 months during the year, it easily goes down to 20 F, etc. I've a 25 mins ride to work everyday (same to come back), against traffic, on a highway. I got caught once on black ice with the Z4 and my factory tires (all season run-flat I guess), and it was not pretty, I really thought I was going to crash it any second, even at low speed.

There is a recommended set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 at Tirerack.com, and I've seen good things about it on this forum. And also adding weight in the trunk, etc.

Do you have any experience about winter tires and the Z4? Thanks a lot

Reply to
sebastien.barre

  1. I assume you are planning to buy wheels for your winter tire, since the WS-50's aren't available in all Z4 sizes.
  2. Do you mind not having run-flats?

That said, while I haven't tried winter tires on my Z4, I just put a set of Dunlop M3's on my 328i & the dry and wet performance improvement over Blizzak Mz-01's was substantial.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

WS-50's aren't available in all Z4 sizes.

Yes of course.

I don't mind. I guess I can leave an extra in the trunk (since more weight will help too), and I have AAA + BMW assistance anyhow...

Reply to
sebastien.barre

I put four Hercules winter tires on my E-36 that I am extremely happy with, and they are inexpensive. I got them at a place on Central Ave out past K-Mart called Adirondak Tire. I think the tires are called Polar Cat or Arctic Cat or something like that, but I'm in Texas right now so I can't check. It's worth a call to them to see if they have your size, if you haven't found anything yet.

Reply to
David

Reply to
kuhljul