Transmission whine

Just purchased a 97 Camaro, 3.8. I am hearing a whine coming from either the transmission or rear-end. It isn't loud, kind of high pitched. You hear it more prominent at 70 MPH. When you let up on the gas it goes away. Is this a normal sound you hear from this car, or is it something to worry about.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Hey Rick, I have a '69 camaro with a 502 crate motor and i have the same problem. This sound only would come on at freeway speeds, and now its all the time and a lot louder. This noise is from the rear end. In my case it is because its under to much stress, the stock ten bolt cant handle 570+ lbs of torque. Since you have a v-6 im not sure if its from the same reason, but I was told that when you have that whine under acceleration, it could be either the rear end or the tranny, but when the noise goes away when you deccelerate, its the rear end. To answer your question, I would worry, its most likely a sign that its going to go out. It could get to a point where if it breaks it will lock up your rear tires while you drive.

-dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to