'03 Silverado Engine Light

The engine light came on in my '03 Silverado yesterday. (the second time within a month) I took it in to the shop today and it turned out to be the cataletic (sp?) convertor. Has anyone else come across faulty convertors?

V.B.

Reply to
vb

How was this determination made ?

Did the shop do an exhaust-gas analysis ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

He's BACK! F'in eh!

Doc

convertors?

Reply to
"Doc"

Well, normally they do a 'puter scan. That would give you the results. There is an oxygen sensor before and after the converter

V.B.

convertors?

Reply to
vb

It could be the rear O2 or the cat....You can tell with a scan tool.

Reply to
Scott M

No, I haven't...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Converters are way more reliable than sensors - which seem to have a very high fail-rate.

Lots of fleets ignore the light completely. That goes for fleets with "virtually unlimited" vehicle maint budgets too. The sensor failures occur from right off the showroom floor - and often don't signify much except low quality sensors.

Reply to
Derek

Not in my case, the converters interior fell apart causing a blockage, reduced power and a flashing engine light. Had the converter replaced today and all is well again (for a moment. Me thinks the truck is a lemon)

V.B.

convertors?

Reply to
vb