'03 Silverado Lemon

Once again, my Silverado is in the shop: engine light on again. This time a vapour leak in the gas tank, a second visit for that problem. I had it in twice for a twice non working air conditioner, twice for faulty gas guage (ran out of gas 3 times with over 1/4 showing on the guage) (they just added a cleaner, had to pay for the second treatment) and a faulty convertor (two visits to get this problem corrected.). Only 20 months old, 52,000 km. I am disgusted with the piece of crap.

Reply to
vb

Hi!

So, when are you going to try and get it replaced under any applicable lemon laws?

I'd have taken the thing back by now and demanded that things be made right somehow...

William The Guesser -- noticed his radio was playing too softly today in the '03 S-10...and that all the connections were good...so he took a guess, whacked the offending speaker grille and brilliant sound popped out!

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I love how people make this sound so easy. Most people don't have the time, energy, or inclination to do this. I'm busy enough during any given day that I don't have time to spend hours on hold with gm/chrysler/ford, or write letters to whoever or paint a big lemon on the vehicle and park it in front of a dealer, etc. I just vote with my dollars and won't buy from the same manufactor again. Better yet, they should just build better vehicles.

Reply to
Richard B

Sounds like you need a better service dept

Reply to
Jody

Hi!

Okaaaayyy....I stand, corrected.

*DISCLAIMER: Getting a vehicle serviced under warranty for a recurring fault may be difficult and consume a lot of your time before the problem is resolved. Getting a vehicle replaced under lemon laws or similar statutes will also take a lot of effort, persistence, and time. You may spend large amounts of time without the service of your vehicle during the time when you are trying to get it repaired or replaced. You may also have to spend lots of your time writing, calling or otherwise contacting your vehicle's manufacturer before action is taken. You may even have to take them to court. The whole process of getting customer satisfaction is not easy and should not be misconstrued as such.

There -- that should be complete! :-)

Now--I firmly believe that an individual should stand up for their consumer rights, and I'm keenly aware that it is not easy, but I also know that it can be rewarding when the situation is finally made right. Whenever I have a problem with a product or service, I do go to the trouble to make my complaints known...really never to extremes, but I do try all reasonable channels with a business. If I don't get a resolution then I'm honest with others who want to do business with that company and I take my own business elsewhere.

William The Semi-Smartacre, Guesser And Very Busy Person (!)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I'm in the process of searching out info on the lemon law applicable in my area. Anyone have any info on this?

V.B.

Reply to
vb

This is something I will be addressing....

V.B.

Reply to
vb

Several problems are out there. GM/Lemmon Law (they will use the lemon law in your state) will prorate the truck, the great rebates that they are offering to purchase a new one will reduce your trade in, and you will not get much for your Lemon. I have had tons of problems with my 2003 HD and have 24,000 miles on it. I went round and round with GM, and got no where, except they bought me a

100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. My wife even works for GM and it did not help. I talked to a lawyer, area service rep, and three Chevy dealers, and nothing. At the end of it all I had three options: 1.Repurchase---Gm would prorate my truck according to lemon law, I could not use any rebates, incentives, discounts, or interest rates and I would still owe $13K to GM for my truck
  1. Replacement--GM would not even think of this.
  2. Trade in--see first paragraph above.

BTW I had my truck just over a year. I like the style of truck, but I want this > > Hi!

Reply to
Bruce Christian

That's my impression as well. Once these minor problems get sorted you may get years of trouble free service from the truck

Reply to
Battleax

sounds like the dealer's service dept is the real problem...taking it in for the same problems over and over.....

Reply to
Scott M

Yeah but I've still had 4 separate problems: Fuel gauge not working properly AC not working Cataletic Converter not functioning correctly Vapour leak (Valve emission canister vent solenoid)

True, the vehicle was in twice for each of two different problems. Not corrected the first time? That I don't know.

V.B.

Reply to
vb

Its interesting how the more complicated the electronics in these new trucks becomes the more incompitent the mechanics seem to become. I like to work on my own truck but as I am now looking for a new one it scares me to look under the hood and see all that new solid state ignition electronics. It is almost to the point where you have to rely on the dealer now and as so often stated in this newsgroup. The service sucks. So for the time being I am going to stay with the older technologe that I can repair and that way I have some control over reliability. Good luck with your truck and better yet good luck trying to get a straight answer out of them if they do ever find the problem, you can be sure that by the time they are done it won't be an easy answer or a reasonably priced fix.

Reply to
William Falconer

I am just worried about what will happen when this stupid light comes on after the warranty has expired. This track record is not very good!

V.B.

Reply to
vb