1980 Chevy G20 Won't Start

I have a 1980 G20 Van with the 5.7L V8 that I cannot get to start. I have replaced the distributor, coil, rotor, and spark plugs and get good spark. There seems to be plenty of fuel getting into the carburetor, but even with starting fluid I cannot get the engine to fire.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where next to troubleshoot as I am at a loss.

Thanks, Ken W. Alger

Reply to
Ken W. Alger

So you don't get any indication that it fires in any cyl? No pops backfires, etc...? Does it sound normal when it cranks? If you pull a plug after you crank it is the plug tip wet or dry? Have you checked the static timing?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
Ken W. Alger

Reply to
Pete

Yes, the plugs are correct and I know I used the correct gap.

Reply to
Ken W. Alger

"Ken W. Alger" wrote in message news:O7SdnVbNKOokFcbanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I would say it's time to start with the basics. No assumptions. I do not see where you replaced the distribtor cap. One, pull the cap and varify the rotor is turning when the engine cranks over. Varifies the timing chain didnt break. Two, varify the base timing is correct, bring number one up on compression and make sure the rotor is pointing where it should, and the timing marks on the engine are where they should be. Varifys the cam hasn't jumped time, seldom happens with GM, but like I said no assumptions, and that the pin holding the gear to the distributor shaft hasnt sheared, this I have seen a couple times.,. Next compression check. Double check and make sure vacume advance is connected to the right place on the carb. If in doubt block it off ands see if it will start. This is when it nice to have an old points distributor, coil and a jumper wire with aligator clips to connect to the battery on the shelf as a quick test. If itstarts with it then the engine is good, Fuel is good and the problem is in the ignition system, You said you replaced the complete distibutor, which brand? Perhaps the ignition module has gone away. Also double check the rotor hasn't got a hole burnt through it letting the spark go down the distributor shaft instead of the wires. Spark will take the path of least resistance. If it has done this there should be lots of "red dust" in the cap and on the inside of the distributor, usually. No bargin basement parts ie caps, rotors, and wires on a GM, the ignition system is hot and eats cheap parts for lunch. And no jap or bosch plugs. If I read the posts correctly it ran after distributor replaced for a couple months and then died. Which leads me to believe ignition module issue. Because you say it doesnt fire off with starting fluid and the plugs have been pulled and checked and are not soaked that it isnt a fuel problem like a sunk float, but I would still put a fuel pressure gauge on it to make sure, again not making any assumptions.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Many years ago, I owned a 1982 G-20 Chevy Van. The ignition system seems to be OK. The next thing I would do is make certain that the choke is operating properly. If the choke doesn't close in cold weather, the engine won't start.

Reply to
Anthony B