Sierra 2.8 won't start.

I have an F reg Sierra XR4x4 2.8 which is refusing to start. I found there was no spark at the spark plug and when I disconnected the ignition lead from the distributor I found there was no spark at the end of the lead either. I replaced the lead (from the coil to the distributor) but no joy. I then replaced the coil but no joy. At this point I got my friendly neighbourhood mechanic involved who thought it was "the module" located near the coil. He had it checked and was told it was faulty so we replaced that but still no joy. He has now removed the distributor and sent it away for testing. I would have thought that if I wasn't getting a spark from the coil then that would rule out the distributor but he says the distributor has electronics in it which could affect it. If the distributor checks out ok then any suggestions as to what to try next? Thanks John

Reply to
c.jopp

as soon as he's online, I'll ask my mate who knows a thing or 2 about sierras :)

but it seems like the thing you are on about is the dizzy vac thing which might be faulty rather than the dizzy itself

Reply to
dojj

Mindwipe

the replys so far have been as follows

dizzy is very simple affair in a 2.8. Sends a signal to the amplifier module which in turn sends to the coil. Easily checked with a multimeter.

checked ya got live and earth @ the coil with ignition on ? ya should get a live there with ignition on that is then spread to other leads as the rotor arm spins....

but as ya say ya have no spark from coil, very much doubt its dizzy, woulda thought more module, or summat that tells the coil to power up... aint summat silly like a fuse ???? OR, even sillier, dont the 2.8 rotor arms have the rev limiter built in ? mayb that gone pete tong and sending a signal telling it not to fire as it will cut the spark

Spooky that, absolutely IDENTICAL problem as mine had, all same test-results an' all. Mine turned out to be Engine Management relay, but a 2.8 being MFi sorta rules that out. Gotta be summat along similar lines though.

they have an ignition module on the inner wing on the passenger side mine ran for a bit then cut out

hope this helsp

:)

Reply to
dojj

and

test-results

In all seriousness, has this happened suddenly? Any recent work carried out? If not, prob something silly that a little fault finding (multimeter) will resolve.

engine management relay should be on when u put ignition on, (#2) mate same as fuel pump really

Reply to
dojj

c.jopp waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Ah, ye olde MFi...

if you hold the main coil lead near an earth and turn the ignition on and off, if you get a spark, but there's no sign of it when you crank the engine, it's probably the ignition module [1]. They're a bastard for packing in, but normally you get a week or two of weird cutting out problems first.

  • Handy hint *, Mk2 Granada V6's have them as well, normally the same module, should just plug straight in, and because a Mk2 Granny 2.3 is worth slightly less than an empty chip wrapper it'll be about £10 normally.
[1] grey box about 3x4" and about 1.5" deep, two circular connectors on it (normally full of verdigrease)

HTH.

Reply to
Pete M

Wonder how he had it checked - the easiest way is simply by substitution.

Oh dear. Perhaps you'd have been better with a sparks rather than mechanic.

There's a sensor inside it rather than electronics. They usually can be tested in situ with a DVM.

Well, the thing you haven't apparently checked is that there is 12 volts appearing at the coil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This is the third time its happened in about 2 years. The other 2 times the problem went away after a couple of days, before I had a chance to investigate. I've now bought a distributor from the local breakers but won't be able to get it fitted til Monday. First time I thought it may just be damp but it still didn't start later in the day - and it was nice sunny day. It's never been a problem when running - just when starting. Thanks for all the other replies which I've made a note of.

John

Reply to
nodge