1985 truck starting problem

I posted this before but didn't give enough information! Sorry

This started last year on a jasper engine with 40,000 ? miles. "Not a work truck"

2 wheel drive - auto trans

SOMETIMES !!

  1. After driving 30 mins or longer, when I shut the engine off and restart it like pumping gas. The starter turns over very slow like a dead battery!

  1. The longer it sets the faster the starter turns over?

  2. The only reason I used time is because it has not done it on a cold start.

  1. The engine fires up with a few starter turns, hot or cold!

I can let is set for weeks and it starts. So it's not a short!

I can't depend on the truck but it has never not started!

I've replaced 2 battery - cables -alt.(was putting out 7.5 volts?).

The shop I use put 2 starters and added a heat shield without any help!

Thanks

Reply to
robert

Someone mentioned a problem like this a while back, it was dirty battery terminals.

Another time, someone mentioned a problem like this. The solution was that there is a shim that goes between the starter and the engine. For whatever reason, when the engine gets hot something swells and binds. The shim allows a bit more space.

I had a starter shim on my 89 Blazer 4.3, and it was a real pain to get the shim and the starter all in at the same time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon