Towing Question

I am right now camping out with my family.

We are currently using my father-in-law's 1974-model Puma tent trailer. I think it is 11 feet long and weighs about 2,000 lbs unloaded.

It is really showing it's age and I'm thinking of buying something newer for my family. After all, the KMET, Led Zeppelin and "Hang Loose Maui" stickers on the back put there by my wife and her brother back in the '80s are starting to fade.

I notice several Suburban trucks with 20' or so trailers here at the campground. Although my Avalanche is a bit shorter than the Suburbans, I should be able to tow what they do, right?

I'm assuming my 1500 Avalanche would have the same properties for towing as a 1500 Suburban?

Just a thought while I'm sitting here waiting for the family to wake up...

Reply to
PerfectReign

I think you should just get a new "Led Zeppelin" sticker!

If you think about it the pickup would seem to be lighter than the SUV so it should tow more.....Either way 2k pounds isn't much even for a 1/2ton.

Reply to
ScottM

Hi!

It's probably pretty close, but your manual will be the most authoritative source of information on this.

2,000 pounds shouldn't be too much for either truck. The owner's manual for my 1984 Plymouth Reliant claims that it can pull 2,000 pounds (!!!!) with the 2.6L engine. Now if a K-car can do it (and it's probably right on the edge of "dangerous"), either truck should have no trouble at all.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I used to have a 2003 Avalanche and would pull a 7000# RV Travel trailer without any problems. The fuel mileage wasn't the best usually about 7 MPG. Remember when You get up in the higher weights (above 4000# approx), you will need a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes. The following is an except from the 2006 Towing guide.

Chevrolet Avalanche Vehicle Engine Tow Limit (LB)

Avalanche 1500 2WD 5.3L V-8 7,300b

Avalanche 1500 2WD 5.3L V-8 8,200d

Avalanche 1500 4WD 5.3L V-8 7,100b

Avalanche 1500 4WD 5.3L V-8 7,900d

Avalanche 2500 4WD 8.1L V-8 10,200c

Avalanche 2500 4WD 8.1L V-8 12,000d

b=3.42:1 axle ratio; c=3.73:1 axle ratio; d=4.10:1 axle ratio.

I hope this helps.

JAW

Reply to
JAW

on Sunday 12 August 2007 03:35 am, someone posing as JAW took a rock and etched into the cave:

Okay, thanks!

Oddly enough, I didn't think the manual would have any information in there.

I was right. There was stuff about safe driving and how to use your turn signal but nothing useful about towing.

Now, how does one determine the axle ratio? I assume I have the 3.42. That's most common, right?

I'll look up and see if I can find an Avalanche VIN decoder. I remember them being out there when I had my Jimmy.

Thanks again.

Reply to
PerfectReign

The easiest way to find the axle ratio is by looking in the glove box. There you will find a tag indicating the RPOs (Regular Production Option) associated with that specific vehicle. Each code designates something. I am not sure which when indicates the axle but you can follow this link (

)to find what each RPO means. I agree, it's probably 3.42 . Good luck JAW

Reply to
JAW

Check the inside of the glove box for your options tag. There should be a code in there for your axle ratio. If you bought the truck new, did you happen to keep any of the window stickers? If you did, the axle ratio will be listed there also.

Reply to
Mark Schooley

My son is in town this week , noticed his right side mirror is missing . We were sitting at a light and noticed another Avalanche with the mirror missing , my son yelled over and asked what had happened. Seems like his, it fell off while on the Interstate . I thought it a little strange so did a Google this a.m , their is a Class Action lawsuit going on for them vibrating (and some other issues )

PhilO

on Monday 13 August 2007 04:35 am, someone posing as PhilO took a rock and etched into the cave:

Ouch!

Thanks for the link.

I have a 2006, so there's been no reports of that issue. I purposely didn't get the first year of the new model. I had way too much experience with that in my '95 Jimmy, which had the first year 4.3L engine with fuel injection.

So far, the truck has 20K miles and is approaching one year old. It has only an issue with the rear power window switch and the rear radio controls....

...oh, and it is too small. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign