1988 THR700

Just a quick stupid question. If one wanted to add some kind of breather hose to their TH700 transmission and route it up to a higher local, how would they go about it?

Reply to
KJ

slip a piece of hose over the breather tube and route it higher would be a good way...........

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I was thinking of that but I also thought it looked like it was rotting and about ready to fall of on it's own. I then thought of drilling a hole and mounting some kind of a nipple. My own response to that was "lunacy". That is why I am at a cross roads....

Reply to
KJ

those things are either plastic or metal, depending on year

never seen one 'rotten'

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Probably covered in 15 years worth of shit making it look like it's rotting out. I know mine sure does, but is solid underneath all the crud.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

18 years of crud. And yes it is. I have two transmissions. One of them the hose is reasonably flexible, this is the one that is in the truck now (just got it all in today) and the other one was rotten/hard/brittle/junk etc. etc. etc. I went to go measure it with a vernier, picked it up off the case a little and it just snapped right off like a big piece of macaroni.
Reply to
KJ

How do you figure a 1988 700R4 is 18 years old?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Because I mixed the years of all 3 vehicles. The tranny in my K5 is an 83', the tranny it broke off of is an 85' and the S10 that fell out of god's navel is an 88'

I apologize for my stupidity.

Reply to
KJ

I do and I don't. I'd like to say I can. All the breathers in my drive train are generally about the same height so and there relatively high - right up to the floor pan. I doubt I'll ever go deeper than that.

Reply to
KJ
. 4x4's have the vent hose run up the back side of the engine...up to the intake area.

scrib =3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D Re: 1988 THR700 Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 19, 2003, 1:33am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEworldnet.att.net (KJ)

KJ, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0you don't need to even put a vent hose on it, if you're not planning on going through any heavy water and submerging the tranny.

I do and I don't. I'd like to say I can. All the breathers in my drive train are generally about the same height so and there relatively high - right up to the floor pan. I doubt I'll ever go deeper than that.

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Both of these 700's fell out of 4x4's and neither had more than a 2 inch tube.

4x4's have the vent hose run up the back side of the engine...up to the intake area.

scrib ==== ====

Reply to
KJ

that's the 'factory' vent tube

most 4x4's have a length of tubing added with a TH-350-style vent on the other end

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer