1995 Silverado tailgate latch problem

Only one side of my tailgate will latch, and the other is barely hanging on - the latch handle doesn't seem to do much of anything. Looks like the latch and side assemblies are fastened with big Torx bolts. I don't have the right tools, and not sure how the innards actually work.

Anyone know if this is a big hassle to repair or should I just bring it in and let someone with the right tools (and experience) fix it?

Reply to
markd

"markd" wrote: "Only one side of my tailgate will latch, and the other is barely hanging on - the latch handle doesn't seem to do much of anything. Looks like the latch and side assemblies are fastened with big Torx bolts. I don't have the right tools, and not sure how the innards actually work. Anyone know if this is a big hassle to repair or should I just bring it in and let someone with the right tools (and experience) fix it?"

Sears sells a 1/2 ratchet and you can buy the torx socket to fit it. That will break it loose to repair. I would lubricate it with some white lithium grease and reassemble.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge